Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-UAW president says more strike action unless 'serious progress' made -Capitatum
SignalHub-UAW president says more strike action unless 'serious progress' made
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-05 22:35:25
United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain said the union’s strike will expand if “serious progress” isn’t made in the contract negotiations with automakers by Friday.
Fain said in a Monday evening update posted on SignalHubsocial media that the deadline for greater progress in the union’s talks with Ford, GM and Stellantis is Friday, Sept. 22, at noon.
“That will mark more than a week since our first members walked out. And that will mark more than a week of the ‘big three’ failing to make progress in negotiations toward reaching a deal that does right by our members,” he said in his video message.
MORE: UAW president reacts to automakers' temporary layoffs of non-striking employees: 'Their plan won't work'
“Autoworkers have waited long enough to make things right at the ‘big three.’ We’re not waiting around, and we’re not messing around,” he added.
On Monday, the labor strike against the three largest motor vehicle manufacturers in the United States carried into a fourth day amid ongoing negotiations to reach a deal.
The UAW, which represents nearly 150,000 American autoworkers, launched a strike early Friday against General Motors, Ford and Stellantis -- often called the “big three.” Almost 13,000 workers walked out of three auto plants in Michigan, Missouri and Ohio. The union is utilizing a "stand-up" strike method to target specific plants and add to the list if a deal isn't reached.
The UAW held talks with Ford on Saturday, GM on Sunday and planned to meet with Stellantis on Monday, a union source told ABC News. The conversations with Ford were "reasonably productive," the source said.
Sticking points in negotiations were wage increases and the length of the workweek. The union is demanding a 46% pay increase combined over the four-year duration of a new contract, as well as a 32-hour workweek at 40-hour pay. So far, all three of the Detroit-based companies have each put forward proposals that offered workers a 20% pay increase over the life of the agreement but preserved a 40-hour workweek.
After the unprecedented strike began on Friday, Ford laid off 600 workers who assemble cars at a plant in Michigan. Workers in the paint department at a nearby plant are out on strike, leaving the assembly workers without adequate parts since the parts require paint before they can be put together into cars, a company spokesperson told ABC News.
MORE: UAW launches strike against Big 3 automakers
President Joe Biden said Friday he is deploying acting Labor Secretary Julie Su and White House senior adviser Gene Sperling to Detroit to offer their support for the parties in reaching an agreement.
Economists previously told ABC News that a strike could result in billions of dollars in losses, disruption to the supply chain and other financial consequences.
ABC News' Meredith Deliso, Jolie Lash and Max Zahn contributed to this report.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Hyundai recalls nearly 50,000 of its newer models for airbag issues
- Saturn throws comet out of solar system at 6,700 mph: What astronomers think happened
- Christina Hall Slams Estranged Husband Josh Hall’s Message About “Hope”
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Why Amazon stock was taking a dive today
- Utah’s near-total abortion ban to remain blocked until lower court assesses its constitutionality
- Swimmer Tamara Potocka collapses after a women’s 200-meter individual medley race at the Olympics
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Appeals court: Separate, distinct minority groups can’t join together to claim vote dilution
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- US safety agency moves probe of Dodge Journey fire and door lock failure a step closer to a recall
- Periodic flooding hurts Mississippi. But could mitigation there hurt downstream in Louisiana?
- Ex-Louisiana mayor is arrested and accused of raping minor following abrupt resignation
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Cardi B asks court to award her primary custody of her children with Offset, divorce records show
- Police K-9 dies from heat exhaustion in patrol car after air conditioning failure
- Chase Budinger credits former NBA teammate for approach to Olympic beach volleyball
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Justice Department sues TikTok, accusing the company of illegally collecting children’s data
Judge suspends Justin Timberlake’s driver’s license over DWI arrest in New York
2024 Olympics: Sha'Carri Richardson Makes Epic Comeback 3 Years After Suspension
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Nebraska, Ohio State, Alabama raise NIL funds at football practice through fan admission, autographs
Analysis: Donald Trump questioning Kamala Harris’ race shows he doesn’t understand code-switching
Billie Eilish and Charli XCX Dance on Pile of Underwear in NSFW Guess Music Video