Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Australia launches inquiry into why Cabinet documents relating to Iraq war remain secret -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Australia launches inquiry into why Cabinet documents relating to Iraq war remain secret
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 08:03:20
CANBERRA,Oliver James Montgomery Australia (AP) — Prime Minister Anthony Albanese ordered an inquiry into why 20-year-old Cabinet documents relating to Australia joining the United States-led Iraq invasion remain secret, saying Wednesday that Australians have a right to know why their country went to war in 2003.
On Monday, the National Archives of Australia released 2003 Cabinet records in keeping with an annual Jan. 1 practice following the expiration of a 20-year secrecy provision.
But 78 documents relating to the Iraq war were withheld because they were prepared for the National Security Committee, a subset of Cabinet ministers who make decisions relating to national security and foreign policy.
Committing Australia to war was the committee’s decision.
Albanese blamed the former conservative government of Prime Minister Scott Morrison for failing to follow the usual practice of handing over all documents to the archive three years before their due release date.
Retired public servant Dennis Richardson had been appointed to investigate over two weeks whether the documents had been withheld as part of a political cover up, Albanese said.
A former conservative government’s decision to send Australian combat troops to back U.S. and British forces in the Iraq invasion was opposed by Albanese’s center-left Labor Party, then in opposition, and triggered Australia’s biggest street protests since the Vietnam War.
Albanese said the archive should release the documents once they have been examined for any national security issues that could exempt them from rules mandating they be made public after 20 years.
“Let me make it very clear of what my government’s position is: Australians have a right to know the basis upon which Australia went to war in Iraq,” Albanese told reporters.
“If this doesn’t occur, we’ll look at whether the government needs to take further action to ensure that there’s transparency here,” Albanese added.
The government department responsible for passing the documents to the archive blamed “administrative oversights” likely caused by pandemic disruption for them not reaching the archive in 2020.
The department said in a statement the archive now had the documents and would consult with security agencies before deciding whether they could be released.
The archive said in a statement it would decide within 90 business days” whether the documents would be made public. The archive had received the documents on New Year’s Eve and was giving priority to examining them, the statement said.
veryGood! (94997)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Israel expands ground assault into Gaza as fears rise over airstrikes near crowded hospitals
- Hurricane Otis kills at least 27 people in Mexico, authorities say
- Crews battle brush fires in Southern California sparked by winds, red flag warnings issued
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Coach hired, team still required: Soccer’s status in the Marshall Islands is a work in progress
- The UAW reaches a tentative deal with GM, the last holdout of Detroit's Big 3
- Firearms charge against Washington state senator Jeff Wilson dismissed in Hong Kong court
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- More Americans over 75 are working than ever — and they're probably having more fun than you
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Families of Americans trapped by Israel-Hamas war in Gaza tell CBS News they're scared and feel betrayed
- Matthew Perry's cause of death unknown; LAPD says there were no obvious signs of trauma
- Maine mass shooting may be nation's worst-ever affecting deaf community, with 4 dead
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Maine police alerted weeks ago about threats from mass shooting suspect
- For Palestinian and Israeli Americans, war has made the unimaginable a reality
- For Palestinian and Israeli Americans, war has made the unimaginable a reality
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Live updates | Israel deepens military assault in the northern Gaza Strip
A Japan court says North Korea is responsible for the abuses of people lured there by false promises
Federal judge reimposes limited gag order in Donald Trump’s 2020 election interference case
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
5 dead as construction workers fall from scaffolding at a building site in Hamburg
Chrishell Stause’s Feud With Jason Oppenheim’s Ex Marie-Lou Nurk Will Make Your Jaw Drop
Thanks, Neanderthals: How our ancient relatives could help find new antibiotics