Current:Home > reviewsBaltimore channel fully reopened for transit over 2 months after Key Bridge collapse -Capitatum
Baltimore channel fully reopened for transit over 2 months after Key Bridge collapse
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 09:52:17
The Fort McHenry Federal Channel was restored to its original operational depth nearly three months after the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse.
The channel was restored to its original dimensions of 700 feet wide and 50 feet deep after 50,000 tons of bridge wreckage was removed from the Patapsco River, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) announced Monday evening.
“We are proud of the unified efforts that fully reopened the Federal Channel to port operations,” Lt. Gen. Scott Spellmon, commanding general of USACE, said in a statement. “The partnerships that endured through this response made this pivotal mission successful.”
The Key Bridge Response 2024 Unified Command has worked to remove the destroyed Baltimore Bridge since the collapse occurred on March 26, when it was hit by the M/V Dali, killing six construction workers.
“Although the overarching goal to restore full operational capacity to the Federal Channel was successful, each day, we thought of those who lost their lives, their families, and the workers impacted by this tragic event,” Col. Estee Pinchasin, Baltimore District commander, said. “Not a day went by that we didn’t think about all of them, and that kept us going.”
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, a part of the Unified Command, and the U.S. Navy Supervisor of Salvage and Diving worked to clear the wreckage from the Federal Channel and move the M/V Dali since the collapse occurred. On Monday, the Unified Command certified that its riverbed was safe for transit, states the press release.
"Surveying and removal of steel at and below the 50-foot mud-line will continue to ensure future dredging operations are not impacted," said the statement.
What happened to the Francis Scott Key Bridge?
On March 26, early in the morning, the M/V Dali struck the bridge, which left it in ruins. Video footage captured the container ship hitting the Key Bridge after appearing to lose power two times.
The incident killed six construction workers who were on the bridge fixing potholes.
On May 7, more than a month after the collapse, the final victim was recovered from the river according to police.
What happened to the M/V Dali?
USACE moved the 984-foot container ship that struck the bridge from its original location, where it remained for nearly two months, to a local marina.
Who is part of the Key Bridge Response 2024 Unified Command?
According to its website, the following agencies make up the Unified Command:
- Maryland Department of the Environment
- Maryland State Police
- Maryland Transportation Authority
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Coast Guard
- Witt O’Brien’s representing Synergy Marine
Contributing: Anthony Robledo and Emily Le Coz, USA TODAY; and Reuters.
Julia is a trending reporter for USA TODAY. She has covered various topics, from local businesses and government in her hometown, Miami, to tech and pop culture. You can connect with her on LinkedIn or follow her on X, formerly Twitter, Instagram and TikTok: @juliamariegz
veryGood! (158)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Chick-fil-A plans UK expansion after previously facing backlash from LGBTQ rights activists
- Hunter Biden to plead not guilty to firearms charges
- Jurors, witnesses in synagogue massacre trial faced threats from this white supremacist
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Chelsea Clinton hopes new donations and ideas can help women and girls face increasing challenges
- Left behind and grieving, survivors of Libya floods call for accountability
- California law restricting companies’ use of information from kids online is halted by federal judge
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Will Lionel Messi play in Inter Miami's next match vs. Toronto FC? Here's the latest.
Ranking
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Disney Star Matthew Scott Montgomery Details Conversion Therapy Experience After Coming Out as Gay
- Wisconsin redistricting fight focuses on the recusal of a key justice as impeachment threat lingers
- Michigan State football coach Tucker says `other motives’ behind his firing for alleged misconduct
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Good chance Congress will pass NCAA-supported NIL bill? Depends on which senator you ask
- Inside the delicate art of maintaining America’s aging nuclear weapons
- Iran’s president urges US to demonstrate it wants to return to the 2015 nuclear deal
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Supporters of reparations for Black residents urge San Francisco to push forward
This rare Bob Ross painting could be yours — for close to $10 million
Rescue operation underway off southwestern Greece for around 90 migrants on board yacht
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
MLB playoff picture: Wild-card standings, tiebreakers and scenarios for 2023 postseason
Did missing ex-NFL player Sergio Brown post videos about mother’s death? Police are investigating
Airbnb says it’s cracking down on fake listings and has removed 59,000 of them this year