Current:Home > ContactNew Hampshire casino to shut down for 6 months, could re-open if sold by owner accused of fraud -Capitatum
New Hampshire casino to shut down for 6 months, could re-open if sold by owner accused of fraud
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:43:45
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire casino owned by a former state senator accused of buying luxury cars with a fraudulently obtained COVID-19 relief loan will be shut down Jan. 1 but allowed to reopen in six months if sold to a new owner, the state lottery commission said in a decision made public Thursday
The commission tried in August to permanently revoke Andy Sanborn’s gaming operator’s license, but he appealed the decision and requested a hearing before an independent examiner. That hearing was held earlier this month, and a decision was issued Wednesday.
Sanborn, a Republican from Bedford, owns the Concord Casino within The Draft Sports Bar and Grill in Concord and was seeking to open a much larger charitable gaming venue a few miles away. But the commission argued that his license should be revoked because he improperly obtained federal funds, misrepresented how he spent the money, paid himself large sums as rent and failed to keep accurate records overall.
According to the investigation, Sanborn fraudulently obtained $844,000 in funding from the Small Business Administration between December 2021 and February 2022. Casinos and charitable gaming facilities weren’t eligible for such loans, but Sanborn omitted his business name, “Concord Casino,” from his application and listed his primary business activity as “miscellaneous services,” officials said.
He’s accused of spending $181,000 on two Porsche race cars and $80,000 on a Ferrari for his wife. Sanborn also paid himself more than $183,000 for what he characterized as rent for his Concord properties, investigators said.
In his ruling, hearings examiner Michael King said it was not within his purview to determine if the loan application was fraudulent, but said filing it with “clear false and/or misleading information” was enough to suspend his license because such action “undermines the public confidence in charitable gaming.” He also rejected Sanborn’s claim that the cars were not purchased with the loan, saying there was a “straight line” from the receipt of the loan to the purchase of the vehicles. And he noted that none of the cars were American made, which violates the terms of the loan.
Revocation of the license was not appropriate, King said, because other license holders had been given opportunities to sell their businesses prior to suspensions or revocations.
Sanborn, who did not attend the hearing because he was at a medical appointment, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday. His lawyer had argued that the state’s entire case was built on a sloppy investigation and unproven allegations about the COVID-19 relief loan.
At the time the allegations were announced in August, officials said federal authorities had been notified and that the state had begun a criminal investigation.
veryGood! (99965)
Related
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Merck sues U.S. government over plan to negotiate Medicare drug prices, claiming extortion
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Son Archie Turns 4 Amid King Charles III's Coronation
- When Should I Get My Omicron Booster Shot?
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- PGA Tour and LIV Golf to merge, ending disruption and distraction and antitrust lawsuit
- How Queen Elizabeth’s Corgis Are Still Living Like Royalty
- Human Rights Campaign declares state of emergency for LGBTQ+ Americans
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- PGA Tour and LIV Golf to merge, ending disruption and distraction and antitrust lawsuit
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- 2016: When Climate Activists Aim to Halt Federal Coal Leases
- Starbucks is rolling out its olive oil drink in more major cities
- Today’s Climate: June 12-13, 2010
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Daily 'breath training' can work as well as medicine to reduce high blood pressure
- 4 ways the world messed up its pandemic response — and 3 fixes to do better next time
- Katy Perry Upgrades Her California Gurl Style at King Charles III’s Coronation
Recommendation
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
COVID Risk May Be Falling, But It's Still Claiming Hundreds Of Lives A Day
World Hunger Rises with Climate Shocks, Conflict and Economic Slumps
A box of 200 mosquitoes did the vaccinating in this malaria trial. That's not a joke!
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Debate 2020: The Candidates’ Climate Positions & What They’ve Actually Done
A judge temporarily blocks an Ohio law banning most abortions
Why Ryan Reynolds is telling people to get a colonoscopy