Current:Home > MarketsNational Guard officer deployed to southern border given reprimand after pleading guilty to assault -Capitatum
National Guard officer deployed to southern border given reprimand after pleading guilty to assault
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 10:16:22
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A New Hampshire National Guard officer who led a battalion on the southern U.S. border has pleaded guilty to assault and several other crimes and been sentenced to a reprimand, the U.S. Army said Thursday.
A military judge in Texas on Wednesday convicted and sentenced Lt. Col. Mark Patterson as part of a deal in which he pleaded guilty to assault consummated by a battery, sexual harassment, conduct unbecoming an officer, violation of a general order and other charges, said Army spokesperson Leah Garton. She said that the sentence was “consistent with the terms of a plea agreement.”
Defense attorney Joseph Jordan said his client owned up to his errors. He said the judge also took into consideration that Patterson had a brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder.
“He took responsibility for exactly what he did wrong, and that is why his sentence was only a reprimand. It is important to remember that this is a decorated combat veteran who suffers greatly from documented PTSD and TBI,” Jordan said. “All of that was taken into account, yesterday.”
Patterson, of Weare, New Hampshire, was deployed with his unit to the southern border in October 2022 and assigned to support U.S. Border Patrol. In January 2023, the Army opened an investigation and Patterson, then commander, was reassigned, an Army spokesperson said previously. The investigation concluded in May and led to the court-martial at Joint Base San Antonio–Fort Sam Houston in which Patterson pleaded guilty.
The Army has not released details on the actions that led to Patterson being charged and did not immediately provide additional information Thursday.
Jordan described the circumstances as a “four-month situation” and said “there are absolutely no clean hands by any party to this case, including the alleged victims.
veryGood! (9231)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Missing sub pilot linked to a famous Titanic couple who died giving lifeboat seats to younger passengers
- Two Farmworkers Come Into Their Own, Escaping Low Pay, Rigid Hours and a High Risk of Covid-19
- Solar Breakthrough Could Be on the Way for Renters
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- 'No violins': Michael J. Fox reflects on his career and life with Parkinson's
- Hospitals create police forces to stem growing violence against staff
- A new nasal spray to reverse fentanyl and other opioid overdoses gets FDA approval
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- 'No violins': Michael J. Fox reflects on his career and life with Parkinson's
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Seniors got COVID tests they didn't order in Medicare scam. Could more fraud follow?
- South Carolina is poised to renew its 6-week abortion ban
- What we know about the tourist sub that disappeared on an expedition to the Titanic
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Jana Kramer Engaged to Allan Russell: See Her Ring
- Keystone XL Pipeline Has Enough Oil Suppliers, Will Be Built, TransCanada Says
- U.S. Military Precariously Unprepared for Climate Threats, War College & Retired Brass Warn
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Think the COVID threat is over? It's not for these people
New Jersey to Rejoin East Coast Carbon Market, Virginia May Be Next
Building Emissions Cuts Crucial to Meeting NYC Climate Goals
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Vanderpump Rules' Tom Sandoval Claims His and Ariana Madix's Relationship Was a Front
America’s First Offshore Wind Farm to Start Construction This Summer
Could Exxon’s Climate Risk Disclosure Plan Derail Its Fight to Block State Probes?