Current:Home > NewsDeath of Atlanta deacon who was electrically shocked during arrest ruled a homicide -Capitatum
Death of Atlanta deacon who was electrically shocked during arrest ruled a homicide
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 10:49:12
An autopsy has found that the Aug. 10 death of a 62-year-old church deacon who was electrically shocked by an Atlanta police officer was a homicide, although the medical examiner found that heart disease also contributed to his death.
Johnny Hollman became unresponsive while being arrested after a minor car crash. The officer shocked Hollman with an electrical stun gun and handcuffed him after Hollman refused to sign a traffic ticket.
The city has since changed its policy to let officers write "refusal to sign" on a traffic ticket instead of arresting someone who won't sign. The policy requires officers to inform drivers that a signature is not an admission of guilt. It just acknowledges receipt of the ticket and court date.
The Atlanta City Council last week called on the city to release the video from the incident. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is examining the officer's actions, has asked the Atlanta Police Department not to release the video until the state agency's investigation is complete.
"We all want justice, and in order for there to be a just outcome, there are policies and procedures in place to ensure a proper and thorough investigation as well as due process in the upcoming administrative hearing," Atlanta police said last week, according to CBS affiliate WANF-TV.
Although the video hasn't been released, it has been shown to family members. Lawyers for Hollman's family question how releasing the video could hamper the investigation when GBI has already interviewed witnesses.
Hollman's death has contributed to discontent with police among some Atlantans that centers on a proposal to build a public safety training center.
Medical examiner Dr. Melissa Sims-Stanley said that based on a review of the video and a conversation with a GBI investigator, she concluded that Hollman was unresponsive after he was stunned, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.
Arnitra Fallins, Hollman's daughter, has said her father was driving home from buying fried chicken and an apple pie when he was involved in a collision with another vehicle. Fallins said Hollman called police to investigate the wreck, but Atlanta police say he grew agitated when police determined Hollman was at fault in the wreck and tried to issue him a citation.
When Hollman refused to sign the ticket, the officer tried to arrest him, and the officer and Hollman began to struggle physically, the GBI said. That's when GBI says the officer, Kiran Kimbrough, shocked Hollman. Kimbrough is on administrative leave during the investigation.
Lawyers for the Hollman family say it was Kimbrough who started the struggle after Hollman asked for a police sergeant to come to the scene because Hollman disagreed with the officer finding him at fault.
"You can hear Mr. Hollman begging for him to stop," lawyer Mawuli Davis said.
Fallins, who was on the phone with Hollman, said she rushed to the scene when she heard her father yell for help.
"You know, when you hear something, you can imagine like what's happening," she told WXIA-TV. "But to actually, you know, witness it you know the piece from the body cam. Now we get the results back from the autopsy. Again, it confirms what I already knew."
A GoFundMe for Hollman had raised more than $6,800 as of Monday morning.
- In:
- Homicide
- Atlanta
veryGood! (63)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- The New Hampshire-Canada border is small, but patrols are about to increase in a big way
- Former federal prosecutor Joe Teirab joins GOP field in Minnesota’s 2nd Congressional District
- Dutch court convicts man who projected antisemitic message on Anne Frank museum
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Colombian president’s statements on Gaza jeopardize close military ties with Israel
- 5 Things podcast: Independent probe could help assess blame for the Gaza hospital strike
- Arraignment delayed again for suspect charged with murdering Tupac Shakur
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Rob Kardashian Reveals His NSFW Reaction to Scott Disick’s Sex Life
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Cities: Skylines II makes city planning fun, gorgeous and maddening
- Fed Chair Powell signals central bank could hold interest rates steady next month
- More Americans make it back home, as flights remain limited from Israel
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Toy Hall of Fame: The 'forgotten five' classic toys up for induction and how fans can vote
- Crypto firms Gemini, DCG sued by New York for allegedly bilking investors of $1.1 billion
- United Airlines will board passengers by window, middle, then aisle seats
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Workers at Mexico’s federal courts kick off 4-day strike over president’s planned budget cuts
AP Week in Pictures: Global | Oct. 13 - 19, 2023
The government secures a $9 million settlement with Ameris Bank over alleged redlining in Florida
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Fugees rapper claims lawyer's use of AI wrecked his case, requests new trial
'Wake up, you have to see this!': 77-year-old Oregon man wins $1 million Powerball prize
The Rolling Stones say making music is no different than it was decades ago: We just let it rock on