Current:Home > NewsVenice won't be listed as one of the world's most endangered sites -Capitatum
Venice won't be listed as one of the world's most endangered sites
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 08:16:05
Venice, with its maze of canals and historic buildings, won't be added to a list of endangered World Heritage sites — for now.
At a meeting to discuss World Heritage sites underway in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, officials from 21 UNESCO member states decided Thursday not to add Venice, Italy to the World Heritage in Danger list.
UNESCO issued a report in July outlining the risks facing Venice, including extreme weather and rising sea levels caused by human-induced climate change, over-tourism and over-development.
A spokesperson for UNESCO, the United Nations body that designates and protects World Heritage sites, did not immediately respond to NPR's request for comment on the reason why Venice, a World Heritage site since 1987, remains off the endangered list.
UNESCO's official statement about the decision reiterated addressing concerns "for the proper conservation of the site," which include tourism, development projects and climate change. "The protection of this World Heritage site must remain a priority for the entire international community," UNESCO stated.
UNESCO added it plans to send a delegation to Venice, and submit a new report about the issues facing the city by February of next year, with a view to discuss its inclusion on the World Heritage in Danger list again next summer.
Adam Markham, deputy director for climate and energy at the Union of Concerned Scientists, and an expert on the link between climate change and cultural heritage, expressed frustration over the decision.
"The countries making the decision thought, 'Okay, let's give them a bit more time. They're doing some good work.' I don't think that's the case," Markham said. "They need the push now to act faster, bigger and do more. Otherwise, Venice is going to really be strangled to death from climate change and tourism."
There are currently 54 sites on the World Heritage in Danger list. New additions to the list in 2023 so far include Rachid Karami International Fair-Tripoli in Lebanon, The Historic Centre of Odesa in Ukraine, and Landmarks of the Ancient Kingdom of Saba, Marib in Yemen. Discussions about additional sites continue this week.
UNESCO did state the reason for its decision on Tuesday to remove one site — Tombs of the Buganda Kings in Kasubi, Uganda — from the List of World Heritage in Danger, where it was inscribed in 2010 following a devastating fire and has since undergone reconstruction.
"This reconstruction program was completed in the summer of 2023, enabling the site to reach the desired state of conservation," said the statement from UNESCO. "The reconstruction had been successfully implemented."
veryGood! (48)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- From Cher to Ozzy Osbourne, see the 2024 list of Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees
- Tesla cuts US prices for 3 of its electric vehicle models after a difficult week
- How Qschaincoin Compares to Other Cryptocurrency Companies
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Pregnant Jenna Dewan Draws Style Inspiration From Taylor Swift's TTPD Album Aesthetic
- Qschaincoin: What Is a Crypto Wallet?
- Tram crash at Universal Studios Hollywood leaves over a dozen injured. What happened?
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Damian Lillard scores 35 as Bucks defeat Pacers in Game 1 without Giannis Antetokounmpo
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Peres Jepchirchir crushes women's-only world record in winning London Marathon
- When is Passover 2024? What to know about the Jewish holiday and why it's celebrated
- Mike Tyson appraises shirtless Ryan Garcia before fight: 'Have you been eating bricks?'
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- 25 years after Columbine, school lockdown drills are common. Students say they cause anxiety and fear — and want to see change.
- Valerie Bertinelli and her new boyfriend go Instagram official with Taylor Swift caption
- Kevin Bacon dances back to ‘Footloose’ high school
Recommendation
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Kevin Bacon returns to 'Footloose' school 40 years later: 'Things look a little different'
1 killed, 9 inured when car collides with county bus in Milwaukee
Kroger, Albertsons — still hoping to merge — agree to sell more stores to satisfy regulators
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
‘Great bravery and resolve.’ Reaction to the death of Terry Anderson, AP reporter held hostage
For Earth Day 2024, experts are spreading optimism – not doom. Here's why.
What do otters eat? Here's what's on the menu for river vs sea otters.