Current:Home > StocksJudge rejects school system’s request to toss out long-running sex-assault lawsuit -Capitatum
Judge rejects school system’s request to toss out long-running sex-assault lawsuit
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:14:22
FALLS CHURCH, Va. (AP) — A federal judge has rejected a request by Virginia’s largest school system to toss out a lawsuit accusing it of indifference to a middle school student’s claims of sexual abuse and harassment.
The Fairfax County School Board filed a motion in November asking to dismiss the long-running suit, saying it had uncovered evidence that the former middle schooler had fabricated allegations that she was raped and sexually abused by classmates inside and outside of the school.
In a recently unsealed order, however, U.S. District Court Judge Rossie Alston said the school system “overreached” in seeking dismissal at this stage based on a claim of fraud upon the court.
Alston said the Facebook messages that the school system says are proof of the plaintiff’s lies haven’t been authenticated. And as a legal matter, Alston said that even if the student lied about what happened to her, that alone wouldn’t be sufficient to toss out the lawsuit before it can be tried before a jury.
The middle schooler who raised the allegations in 2011 is now 24, and is not identified by name in court documents. Her allegations were the basis of a 2014 settlement between the school system and the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights over her accusations that the district failed to adequately investigate her complaint.
In 2019, she filed a civil lawsuit against the school board and two of her alleged attackers, among others. The case has been locked in contentious legal wrangling ever since.
The student alleges she was sexually assaulted multiple times, and was even gang raped in a utility closet in 2012. She alleges that the attacks escalated while teachers, counselors and administrators ignored her complaints of mistreatment.
The school board filed its motion to dismiss based on fraud after finding Facebook messages between the student and a classmate alleged to be one of her principal attackers. They say the messages show that the two were actually boyfriend and girlfriend and that the girl had sought out sexual contact with him during a period of time in which she alleged he had been raping and threatening her.
Alston, in his ruling which was unsealed last week, said there is no proof at this point that the Facebook messages are authentic. The judge noted that the school system found them late in the discovery process. The allegedly incriminating messages also come from an account only identified as “Facebook User.”
The school board counters that the messages will be easy to authenticate and that the context of the messages makes clear they were sent by the plaintiff.
The lawsuit, which is scheduled to go to trial in March, is one of several cases the school system has battled in recent years, racking up millions in legal fees.
The cases, and similar accusations in neighboring Loudoun County, have drawn scrutiny, as Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin has faulted local school systems for their handling of sexual assault accusations.
veryGood! (5768)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- A $355 million penalty and business ban: Takeaways from Trump’s New York civil fraud verdict
- Sterling K. Brown recommends taking it 'moment to moment,' on screen and in life
- The Daily Money: Reinventing the financial aid form
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Body of deceased woman, 30 human cremains found at house after ex-funeral home owner evicted
- Maryland Gov. Wes Moore unveils $90M for environmental initiatives
- 8 states restricted sex ed last year. More could join amid growing parents' rights activism
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- FBI informant lied to investigators about Bidens' business dealings, special counsel alleges
Ranking
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Pregnant woman found dead in Indiana basement 32 years ago is identified through dad's DNA: I couldn't believe it
- Man convicted in 2022 shooting of Indianapolis police officer that wounded officer in the throat
- Southern lawmakers rethink long-standing opposition to Medicaid expansion
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Man who told estranged wife ‘If I can’t have them neither can you’ gets life for killing their kids
- Powerball winning numbers for Feb. 14 drawing: Jackpot rises over $300 million
- Rob Manfred anticipates 'a great year' for MLB. It's what happens next that's unresolved.
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Get a Tan in 1 Hour and Save 46% On St. Tropez Express Self-Tanning Mousse
How did Caitlin Clark do it? In-depth look at Iowa star's run at NCAA scoring record
Sora is ChatGPT maker OpenAI’s new text-to-video generator. Here’s what we know about the new tool
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Watch Caitlin Clark’s historic 3-point logo shot that broke the women's NCAA scoring record
Don't Miss J.Crew’s Jewelry Sale with Chic Statement & Everyday Pieces, Starting at $6
Body believed to be missing 5-year-old Darnell Taylor found in sewer, Ohio police say