Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-Two fired FirstEnergy executives indicted in $60 million Ohio bribery scheme, fail to surrender -Capitatum
TradeEdge-Two fired FirstEnergy executives indicted in $60 million Ohio bribery scheme, fail to surrender
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 10:06:53
COLUMBUS,TradeEdge Ohio (AP) — Two fired FirstEnergy Corp. executives were indicted Monday in the long-running investigation into a $60 million bribery scheme in Ohio that has already resulted in a 20-year prison sentence for a former state House speaker.
Former FirstEnergy CEO Chuck Jones and former Senior Vice President Michael Dowling were charged in relation to their roles in the massive corruption case, Republican Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost announced in an online news conference.
“Their actions over a period of years have undermined confidence in state governments, the rule of law, and very nearly made them even richer men than they already are,” Yost said of Jones and Dowling, who are facing criminal charges for the first time since the scandal began. “There can be no justice without holding the check writers and the masterminds accountable.”
Both Jones and Dowling were fired in October 2020 for violating company policies and code of conduct, but the lack of indictments had been notable as a 5-year statute of limitations nears.
Yost said a grand jury in Summit County, home to Akron, indicted Jones and Dowling on Friday. He said the two men promised to turn themselves in Monday to the Summit County Jail, but that they did not keep that promise. He said he anticipates the they will be taken into custody sometime later Monday.
Monday’s announcement also included additional charges against Sam Randazzo, former chair of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, who is already facing 11 counts of charges centered around allegations he accepted bribes from Akron-based FirstEnergy Corp. in exchange for regulatory favors. It also names his two businesses, IEU-Ohio Administration Co. and Sustainability Funding Alliance of Ohio.
Randazzo resigned in November 2020 after FBI agents searched his Columbus townhome and FirstEnergy revealed in security filings that it had paid him $4.3 million for his future help at the commission a month before Republican Gov. Mike DeWine nominated him as Ohio’s top utility regulator.
Jones, Dowling and Randazzo face a combined 27 new felony counts announced by Yost, including bribery, theft, engaging in corrupt activity, tampering with records and money laundering.
“This indictment is about more than one piece of legislation,” Yost said in an online news conference Monday. “It is about the hostile capture of a significant portion of Ohio’s state government by deception, betrayal and dishonesty.”
The long-awaited indictments mark the latest development in what has been labeled the largest corruption case in Ohio history.
Former Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder was sentenced in June to 20 years in prison for his role in orchestrating the scheme, and lobbyist Matt Borges, a former chair of the Ohio Republican Party, was sentenced to five years.
The U.S. attorney’s office in Cincinnati indicted three others on racketeering charges in July 2020. Lobbyist Juan Cespedes and Jeffrey Longstreth, a top Householder political strategist, pleaded guilty in October 2020 and await sentencing. The third person arrested, statehouse lobbyist Neil Clark, pleaded not guilty before dying by suicide in March 2021. The dark money group used to funnel FirstEnergy money, Generation Now, also pleaded guilty to a racketeering charge in February 2021.
All were accused of using the $60 million in secretly funded FirstEnergy cash to get Householder’s chosen Republican candidates elected to the House in 2018 and then to help him get elected speaker in January 2019. The money was then used to win passage of the tainted energy bill, House Bill 6, and to conduct what authorities have said was a $38 million dirty-tricks campaign to prevent a repeal referendum from reaching the ballot.
In July 2021, Yost asked a judge in Columbus to add Jones, Dowling and Randazzo to a state-level lawsuit by his office against FirstEnergy.
An 81-page FBI criminal complaint from July 2020 detailed how executives of Akron-based FirstEnergy interacted with Householder and others indicted in the scheme, as well as identifying 84 phone contacts between Jones and the former speaker and 14 phone contacts between Dowling and Householder.
FirstEnergy admitted to its role in the bribery scheme as part of a July 2021 deferred prosecution agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice. The company agreed to pay $230 million in penalties and to accomplish a long list of reforms within three years in order to avoid being criminally prosecuted on a federal conspiracy charge.
A statement of facts signed by current FirstEnergy CEO and President Steven Strah lays out in detail the involvement of Jones, Dowling, Randazzo and others in the bribery scheme. Randazzo’s attorneys have called claims contained in the document mere “hearsay” designed to keep the energy giant out of legal hot water.
veryGood! (29658)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Ohio board stands by disqualification of transgender candidate, despite others being allowed to run
- Tony Romo once again jumps the gun on Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's relationship
- 2024 NFL draft order: Top 28 first-round selections set after divisional playoffs
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- DeSantis Called for “Energy Dominance” During White House Run. His Plan Still is Relevant to Floridians, Who Face Intensifying Climate Impacts
- Burton Wilde: FinTech & AI Turbo Tells You When to Place Heavy Bets in Investments.
- In Washington state, pharmacists are poised to start prescribing abortion drugs
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Could Champagne soon stop producing champagne?
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Heavy rainfall flooded encampment in Texas and prompted evacuation warnings in Southern California
- How many delegates does New Hampshire have for the 2024 primary, and how are they awarded?
- Cyprus police vow tougher screening of soccer fans in a renewed effort to clamp down on violence
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Georgia lawmakers advance bill to revive disciplinary commission for state prosecutors
- Judge blocks tighter rule on same-day registration in North Carolina elections
- Shirtless Jason Kelce Is the Real MVP for Helping Fan Meet Taylor Swift at Chiefs Game
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Kansas incurred $10 million in legal fees defending NCAA men's basketball infractions case
How Allison Holker and Her Kids Found New Purpose One Year After Stephen tWitch Boss' Death
Man charged with killing his wife in 1991 in Virginia brought back to US to face charges
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Lionel Messi plays into second half, but Inter Miami loses 1-0 to FC Dallas in preseason
A college student fell asleep on the train. She woke up hours later trapped inside.
Could Georgia’s Fani Willis be removed from prosecuting Donald Trump?