Current:Home > MySale of federal oil and gas leases in Gulf of Mexico off again pending hearings on whale protections -Capitatum
Sale of federal oil and gas leases in Gulf of Mexico off again pending hearings on whale protections
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 08:28:41
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — An upcoming sale of federal Gulf of Mexico oil and gas leases was officially postponed Thursday amid legal fights over protections for an endangered species of whale.
A federal appellate panel last week paused a separate appeals panel’s order that the sale be held next Wednesday. Oil industry advocates had pressed President Joe Biden’s administration to go ahead with the sale anyway. But the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management said it was postponing the event because of the legal uncertainties heading into a Nov. 13 appeals court hearing.
The lease sale, called for in 2022 climate legislation that was part of the Inflation Reduction Act, was announced earlier this year. The available tracts covered a broad area of Gulf waters off the coasts of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. It was originally scheduled for Sept. 27. But BOEM announced in August that it was scaling back the amount of acreage oil companies would be allowed to bid on from 73 million acres (30 million hectares) to 67 million acres (27 million hectares). That followed a proposed legal settlement between the administration and environmentalists in a lawsuit over protections for an endangered whale species.
Oil companies and the state of Louisiana objected to the reduction, setting off a still-brewing legal battle.
A federal judge in southwest Louisiana ordered the sale to go on at its original scale with the whale protections eliminated. That led to an appeal to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
In late September, a panel of that court refused to block the federal judge’s order but amended it to push the sale back to Nov. 8, so the administration would have more time to prepare. But last week, a different panel stayed that order and set a hearing on the merits of the case for Nov. 13.
Oil industry representatives and industry supporters in Congress pressed BOEM to hold the full-sized sale on Nov. 8 despite the lack of a court resolution. Senate energy committee Chairman Joe Manchin, the conservative West Virginia Democrat who has clashed with Biden and other fellow Democrats on energy policy, and the committee’s ranking Republican, Sen. John Barrasso of Wyoming both said the sale should go on.
But the administration made the latest delay official in a Thursday statement.
“Until the court rules, BOEM cannot be certain of which areas or stipulations may be included in the sale notice,” the BOEM statement said.
Reaction against the decision came quickly from the American Petroleum Institute and the National Ocean Industries Association. “Once again, the Administration is standing against domestic oil and gas production,” NOIA’s president, Erik Milito, said in a written statement.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Off-duty Atlanta police officer shot, killed while reportedly trying to break into house
- Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Milton and Hurricane Helene Victims
- All of Broadway’s theater lights will dim for actor Gavin Creel after an outcry
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- TikTok sued by 13 states and DC, accused of harming younger users
- Lisa Marie Presley Shares She Had Abortion While Dating Danny Keough Before Having Daughter Riley Keough
- Honda recalling almost 1.7 million vehicles over 'sticky' steering issue
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Dogs fatally attack a man behind a building in New York
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Shop Flannel Deals Under $35 and Save Up to 58% Before Prime Day Ends!
- Where will northern lights be visible in the US? Incoming solar storm to unleash auroras
- Biden condemns ‘un-American’ ‘lies’ about federal storm response as Hurricane Milton nears Florida
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Ali Wong Tries to Set Up Hoda Kotb and Eric André on Date
- Smartwatch shootout: New Apple Series 10, Pixel 3 and Samsung Galaxy 7 jockey for position
- JoJo Siwa Seemingly Plays Into Beyoncé & Sean Diddy Combs Conspiracy Theory With Award Show Shoutout
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Get a $19 Prime Day Deal on a Skillet Shoppers Insist Rivals $250 Le Creuset Cookware
The Daily Money: Revisiting California's $20 minimum wage
Hurricane Milton disrupts Yom Kippur plans for Jews in Florida
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Anderson Cooper Hit in the Head With Flying Debris Live on Air While Covering Hurricane Milton
Tampa Bay was spared catastrophic storm surge from Hurricane Milton. Here's why.
Opinion: Luis Tiant deserves to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame