Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-Judge denies Trump's bid to quash probe into efforts to overturn Georgia 2020 results -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Judge denies Trump's bid to quash probe into efforts to overturn Georgia 2020 results
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 02:26:24
In another blow to former President Donald Trump's efforts to stymie Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis' investigation into his conduct after the 2020 presidential election,Charles H. Sloan a judge on Monday denied a motion filed in March by Trump's legal team seeking to disqualify Willis and quash the findings of a special grand jury convened to review evidence in the matter.
In his ruling, Judge Robert McBurney wrote that Trump's legal argument was "insufficient because, while being the subject (or even target) of a highly publicized criminal investigation is likely an unwelcome and unpleasant experience, no court ever has held that that status alone provides a basis for the courts to interfere with or halt the investigations."
McBurney's denial marks the latest in a series of legal setbacks for Trump. Earlier this month, the Georgia Supreme Court unanimously rejected a similar motion.
MORE: Timeline: Criminal probe into Trump's efforts to overturn Georgia election results
A separate motion, filed by Trump's team to the Georgia Superior Court, will be the subject of an upcoming hearing on August 10.
McBurney on Monday took Trump to task for his legal maneuvering, slamming Trump's repeated efforts to remove Willis from the case in multiple jurisdictions.
"Perplexingly, prematurely, and with the standard pugnacity, Trump has filed not one but two mandamus actions against the District Attorney and this Court," he wrote.
Willis officially launched the probe in February 2021, sparked in part by the now-infamous Jan. 2, 2021, phone call Trump made to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger in which Trump pleaded with Raffensperger to "find 11,780 votes," the exact number Trump needed to win Georgia.
Trump has publicly denounced the investigation and has denied all wrongdoing in his phone call to Raffensperger.
Over the weekend, Willis told a local news outlet that her "work is accomplished" ahead of a possible indictment of the former president.
"We've been working for two and a half years -- we're ready to go," Willis said.
The Washington Post reported Monday that orange barricades had been erected over the weekend outside the Atlanta-area courthouse where Trump would be arraigned should he be indicted on charges.
"I think that the sheriff is doing something smart in making sure the courthouse stays safe," Willis told the local outlet.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Fugitive task forces face dangerous scenarios every day. Here’s what to know about how they operate.
- An Alabama Senate committee votes to reverse course, fund summer food program for low-income kids
- Homeless families face limits on shelter stays as Massachusetts grapples with migrant influx
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- What marijuana reclassification means for the United States
- Climber killed after falling 1,000 feet off mountain at Denali National Park identified
- Wally Dallenbach, former IndyCar driver and CART chief steward, dies at 87
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Why Bella Hadid Is Taking a Step Back From the Modeling World Amid Her Move to Texas
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- The Government Is Officially Reintroducing Grizzly Bears in the North Cascades. What Happens Now?
- Midtown Jane Doe cold case advances after DNA links teen murdered over 50 years ago to 9/11 victim's mother
- 2-year-old boy killed while playing in bounce house swept up by strong winds in Arizona
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Trump held in contempt for violating gag order in hush money trial. Here's how much he owes.
- 2024 NFL draft steals: Steelers have two picks among top 10 in best value
- 2-year-old boy killed while playing in bounce house swept up by strong winds in Arizona
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Free Krispy Kreme: Get a free dozen doughnuts through chain's new rewards program
Neurosurgeon causes stir by suggesting parents stop playing white noise for kids' sleep
Zendaya teases Met Gala 2024 look: How her past ensembles made her a fashion darling
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Columbia says protesters occupied Hamilton Hall overnight. See the videos from campus.
Focus turns to demeanor of girlfriend charged in Boston officer’s death on second day of trial
Appalachian State 'deeply saddened' by death of starting offensive lineman