Current:Home > FinanceEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Thousands of Marines, sailors deploy to Middle East to deter Iran from seizing ships -Capitatum
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Thousands of Marines, sailors deploy to Middle East to deter Iran from seizing ships
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 20:15:20
More than 3,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center000 Marines and sailors arrived in the Middle East on Sunday in a deployment meant to deter Iran from seizing and harassing merchant ships near the Strait of Hormuz, according to U.S. Naval Forces Central Command.
They came aboard the dock landing ship USS Carter Hall and amphibious assault ship USS Bataan, which together can carry dozens of aircraft, including Ospreys and Harrier jets, plus amphibious landing craft and tactical vehicles.
These forces belong to the Bataan Amphibious Ready Group and 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU). The North Carolina-based MEU "is capable of conducting amphibious missions, crisis response and limited contingency operations to include enabling the introduction of follow-on forces and designated special operations," according to a release from Naval Forces Central Command.
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin ordered the move last month "in response to recent attempts by Iran to seize commercial ships" in the Middle East, according to U.S. Central Command.
MORE: US Marines prepare to be put on commercial ships to deter Iranian harassment in Strait of Hormuz
Iranian officials have pushed back on accounts they "harassed" ships -- claiming in one instance that they were responding to a distress signal, for example.
But according to the Navy, Iran attempted to seize two commercial oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman in July, opening fire on one of them. In May, the U.S. said, Iran seized two merchant ships within one week.
"Since 2021, Iran has harassed, attacked or seized nearly 20 internationally flagged merchant vessels, presenting a clear threat to regional maritime security and the global economy," a Navy release stated in July.
Some Marines of the 26th MEU were flown ahead for training in Bahrain in anticipation of being placed aboard commercial ships traveling through the Strait of Hormuz to stop Iran from capturing them, a U.S. official told ABC News on Friday.
A U.S. official previously said the presence of Marines aboard civilian vessels was expected to be a strong deterrent to Iran. And while their mission would be defensive, the Marines would have the right to defend themselves as necessary, the official said.
The U.S. is considering multiple options and is likely to offer protections to ships that are U.S.-flagged, carrying crews that include U.S. citizens or bringing cargo to or from the U.S., according to the official. The commercial shipping industry has been made aware that this option is or will become available on a voluntary basis.
The U.S. now is waiting for commercial shipping companies to request protection. A senior White House official told ABC News last week that while the plan will likely be approved, no final authorization has been given to U.S. Central Command to go forward.
Pentagon press secretary Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder did not confirm the possibility when asked during a press gaggle on Monday.
"I'm aware of the press reports speculating that that's something we may be looking at doing, but ... I don't have anything to announce," Ryder said.
The ships and troops that arrived this weekend join other U.S. military support recently sent to the area.
"In response to a number of recent alarming events in the Strait of Hormuz, the secretary of defense has ordered the deployment of the destroyer USS Thomas Hudner, F-35 fighters and F-16 fighters to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility to defend U.S. interests and safeguard freedom of navigation in the region," Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said during a July 17 briefing.
veryGood! (3466)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- US, South Korea and Japan conduct naval drills as tensions deepen with North Korea
- Cocaine residue was found on Hunter Biden’s gun pouch in 2018 case, prosecutors say
- EIF Tokens Give Wings to AI Robotics Profit 4.0's Dreams
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- The 3 officers cleared in Manuel Ellis’ death will each receive $500,000 to leave Tacoma police
- Biden administration asks Supreme Court to intervene in its dispute with Texas over border land
- Justice Department report into Uvalde school shooting expected this week
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- How Mexico City influenced the icy Alaska mystery of ‘True Detective: Night Country’
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Cuffed During Cuffing Season? Here Are The Best Valentine's Day Gifts For Those In A New Relationship
- A freed Israeli hostage relives horrors of captivity and fears for her husband, still held in Gaza
- Here are the 20 cities where home prices could see the biggest gains in 2024 — and where prices could fall
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- The Integration of EIF Tokens in the Financial Sector
- Nigerian leader says ‘massive education’ of youth will help end kidnappings threatening the capital
- Mexican writer José Agustín, who chronicled rock and society in the 1960s and 70s, has died at 79
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Shark attacks 10-year-old Maryland boy during expedition in shark tank at resort in Bahamas
Everything You Need to Upgrade Your Winter Skincare and Beauty Routine, According to Amazon Influencers
California emergency services official sued for sexual harassment, retaliation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Nigerian leader says ‘massive education’ of youth will help end kidnappings threatening the capital
At 40, the Sundance Film Festival celebrates its past and looks to the future
Analysis: North Korea’s rejection of the South is both a shock, and inevitable