Current:Home > FinanceDefendant in Georgia election interference case asks judge to unseal records -Capitatum
Defendant in Georgia election interference case asks judge to unseal records
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 10:16:12
Attorney Kenneth Chesebro, one of the 19 defendants in the Fulton County election interference case, filed a motion Monday asking a judge to unseal a host of underlying records in the case -- including the special grand jury report that recommended charges, the transcripts of testimony heard by the panel, and any recordings of the proceedings.
Chesebro is set to stand trial in the case on Oct. 23, after a judge granted his request for a speedy trial. He, Smith and former President Donald Trump were charged along with 16 others earlier this month in a sweeping racketeering indictment for alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election in the state of Georgia. The former president says his actions were not illegal and that the investigation is politically motivated.
MORE: Willis seeks to have all 19 defendants in Georgia election case tried together
In his motion on Monday, Chesebro's attorneys said the materials he's requesting "are critical for Chesebro to obtain in order to properly prepare for trial."
The motion said that numerous witnesses "including co-Defendants, unindicted co-conspirators, and traditional witnesses" testified before the special purpose grand jury, and that Chesebro "anticipates that many of these same people will testify at his trial."
"Finally, there is also an overarching due process concern that Mr. Chesebro have access to all prior testimony of witnesses who are expected to testify at trial (and made statements before the special purpose grand jury) in order to properly defend himself," the filing said.
Chesebro's attorney, Scott Grubman, told ABC News, "Mr. Chesebro has the right to obtain as much information as he can regarding the grand jury proceeding which, after indictment, is not considered secret. That is the purpose of these motions."
The special purpose grand jury -- which did not have indictment power but recommended that charges be brought -- was seated for nearly eight months and heard testimony from over 75 witnesses, including some of Trump's closest allies. A portion of its findings were released in a final report, excerpts of which were released to the public in February.
In a separate motion on Monday, Chesebro moved to conduct "voluntary interviews" of members of the separate grand jury that ultimately returned the indictment, in order to ask them if they "actually read the entire indictment or, alternatively, whether it was merely summarized for them," the filing said.
veryGood! (2622)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Get in Formation: Another Buzz-Worthy Teaser for Beyoncé's Renaissance Film Is Here
- Dawn Staley comments on NCAA finding officiating was below standard in championship game
- Nearly half of Democrats disapprove of Biden’s response to the Israel-Hamas war, AP-NORC poll shows
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- CMAs awards Lainey Wilson top honors, Jelly Roll sees success, plus 3 other unforgettable moments
- Megan Fox Shares How Fiancé Machine Gun Kelly Helped Her “Heal” Through New Book
- Patrick Dempsey named Sexiest Man Alive by People magazine: I'm glad it's happening at this point in my life
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Karlie Kloss Says She Still Gets Trolled for 2019 Camp Met Gala Look
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- In-n-Out announces expansion to New Mexico by 2027: See future locations
- Puerto Rico declares flu epidemic as cases spike. 42 dead and more than 900 hospitalized since July
- College student hit by stray bullet dies. Suspect was released earlier for intellectual disability
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- 'Profound betrayal': Los Angeles investigator charged after stealing from dead bodies, DA says
- Zac Efron “Devastated” by Death of 17 Again Costar Matthew Perry
- Apple hits setback in dispute with European Union over tax case
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Man receives the first eye transplant plus a new face. It’s a step toward one day restoring sight
CMA Awards 2023 full winners list: Lainey Wilson, Luke Combs, Chris Stapleton and more
Father of Liverpool striker Luis Díaz released after his kidnapping in Colombia by ELN guerrillas
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Ohio State's Ryan Day denies giving Michigan's signs to Purdue before Big Ten title game
Houston eighth grader dies after suffering brain injury during football game
An industrial robot crushed a worker to death at a vegetable packing plant in South Korea
Tags
Like
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- With Democrats Back in Control of Virginia’s General Assembly, Environmentalists See a Narrow Path Forward for Climate Policy
- NCAA president Charlie Baker blasts prop bets, citing risk to game integrity in college sports