Current:Home > MyAttorneys hope Netflix's 'Mr. McMahon' will 'shed light' on WWE CEO's alleged abuse -Capitatum
Attorneys hope Netflix's 'Mr. McMahon' will 'shed light' on WWE CEO's alleged abuse
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-05 21:03:58
The attorneys for the woman who filed a lawsuit against former WWE CEO Vince McMahon for alleged abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking said they hope the upcoming Netflix documentary on the controversial wrestling figure will "portray the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior."
In January, former WWE employee Janel Grant filed a lawsuit in the state of Connecticut that detailed her experience at WWE's headquarters. Grant alleged McMahon made her sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship for an agreed amount of $3 million, but she didn't receive full payment from McMahon and wants to void the agreement with the lawsuit. Grant is also suing WWE’s former head of talent relations John Laurinaitis.
Next week, Netflix will release the docuseries "Mr. McMahon"on Sept. 25, promising to "delve into the mogul's controversial reign" in charge of the biggest wresting company in the world. In addition to interviews with McMahon himself and other prominent figures in wrestling, such as Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson, Hulk Hogan and Paul "Triple H" Levesque, the series hints that filming took place when Grant's lawsuit was announced.
Ann Callis, an attorney for Grant, said in a press briefing on Thursday she hopes the series will shed light on her client's story and that she feel it "does it justice."
"Because of the extreme cruelty, degradation, exploitation and violence she was subjected to on a near daily basis for more than two years, (Grant) now suffers from severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, suicidal ideation and the inability to leave her home for weeks at a time," Callis said. "We hope it shines a light on the abhorrent actions of McMahon, frequently on WWE property, and it portrays the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior."
McMahon resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, parent company of WWE, the day after the lawsuit was filed. but the wrestling company's founder maintains his innocence.
“I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name,” McMahon previously said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.
Grant did not take part in "Mr. McMahon," Callis added, and did not clarify whether she was asked to be part of it. Callis only said Grant "deserves the opportunity to tell her full story, not be a part of someone else's."
"(Grant) will get her day in court, and McMahon will be held accountable," Callis said. "She would like to expedite all proceedings as quickly as possible, and Janelle has the right to tell her story in her own way at the right time."
While Grant wants to expedite the proceedings of the lawsuit, the case is currently paused because the U.S. Department of Justice is conducting its own investigation. Grant's attorneys have not heard any updates on the federal investigation but said they want it to proceed quickly so her lawsuit may continue.
Last month, Grant also filed a petition to obtain her medical records from Dr. Carlon Colker. Callis said McMahon arranged visits for Grant to Colker and they're requesting all communication between them. Colker and Peak Wellness filed an official complaint to the petition, stating it's part of Grant's "smear campaign" against WWE.
When asked about any contact Grant has had with WWE since her lawsuit was filed, Callis said there was some initial "very brief" outreach by WWE, but nothing from the company since.
"Janelle Grant's a human being. As I've said before, she deserves justice," Callis said. "She's a victim and a survivor, she is not a WWE storyline."
veryGood! (9355)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Colorado man dies on Colorado River trip; 7th fatality at Grand Canyon National Park since July 31
- Field of (wildest) dreams: Ohio corn maze reveals Taylor Swift design
- FACT FOCUS: A look at false claims and misinformation by Trump and Harris before their first debate
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- ‘I won’t let them drink the water’: The California towns where clean drinking water is out of reach
- Declassified memo from US codebreaker sheds light on Ethel Rosenberg’s Cold War spy case
- Selena Gomez reveals she can't carry a baby. It's a unique kind of grief.
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- When do new episodes of 'SNL' come out? Season 50 premiere date and what we know so far
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Heidi Klum Reveals Some of the Items Within Her “Sex Closet”
- Kyle Larson expected to return to Indianapolis 500 for another shot at ‘The Double’ in 2025
- Texas school districts say upgrades to the state’s student data reporting system could hurt funding
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Highlights as Bill Belichick makes 'Manningcast' debut during Jets vs. 49ers MNF game
- What can you do when leaders are tolerant of demeaning workplace behavior? Ask HR
- Beyoncé Offers Rare Glimpse Into Family Life With Her and Jay-Z’s 3 Kids
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
'Scared everywhere': Apalachee survivors grapple with school shooting's toll
Tom Brady is far from the GOAT in NFL broadcast debut, but he can still improve
Delaware primary to decide governor’s contest and could pave the path for US House history
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Jenna Bush Hager Says Anna Wintour Asked Her and Hoda Kotb to “Quiet Down” at U.S. Open
Starbucks’ new CEO wants to recapture the coffeehouse vibe
Congress honors 13 troops killed during Kabul withdrawal as politics swirl around who is to blame