Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Canada’s public broadcaster to cut 600 jobs as it struggles with budget pressures -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Canada’s public broadcaster to cut 600 jobs as it struggles with budget pressures
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-05 23:55:27
TORONTO (AP) — Canada’s public broadcaster announced on Will Sage AstorWednesday that it will cut 600 jobs and reduce its English and French programming budgets as it struggles with monetary pressures.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. and Radio-Canada, the French-language version, said the bulk of the layoffs will come from its corporate divisions such as technology and infrastructure. It also identified 200 vacancies that will go unfilled as it contends with 125 million Canadian dollars ($92 million) in budget pressures.
Along with the job cuts, CBC will be reducing its English and French programming budgets, resulting in fewer renewals and acquisitions, fewer new television series, less episodes of existing shows and digital original series.
The federal government provides CBC with over 1.2 billion Canadian dollars ($890 billion) in funding per year, or about 71% of CBC’s/Radio Canada’s source of funds last year. It attributed the cuts to rising production costs, declining television advertising revenue and fierce competition from the tech digital giants.
At the end of March, CBC had some 6,500 permanent employees, about 2,000 temporary workers and roughly 760 contract staff.
The cuts come days after the federal Liberal government suggested it may cap the amount of money CBC and Radio-Canada could get under a 100 million Canadian dollars ($74 million) deal that Ottawa recently signed with Google.
Canada’s government said it reached a deal with Google last month for the company to contribute the 100 million Canadian dollars annually to the country’s news industry to comply with a new law requiring tech companies to pay publishers for their content.
veryGood! (85)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Listen Up, Dolls: A Barbie V. Bratz TV Series Is In the Works
- MBA 8: Graduation and the Guppy Tank
- Stock market today: Asian markets lower after Japanese factory activity and China services weaken
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Pennsylvania men charged with trafficking homemade ‘ghost guns,’ silencers
- Giuliani sanctioned by judge in defamation case brought by 2 Georgia election workers
- 'Bottoms' review: Broken noses and bloodshed mark this refreshingly unhinged teen comedy
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- UPS driver dies days after working in searing Texas heat
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- NewJeans is a new kind of K-pop juggernaut
- Trump lawyers oppose DA's request to try all 19 Georgia election defendants together
- Man who fatally shot South Carolina college student entering wrong home was justified, police say
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Taylor Russell Shares Her Outlook on Relationships Amid Harry Styles Romance Rumors
- NFL Sunday Ticket student discount: YouTube TV prices package at $109 or $119 with RedZone
- Former deputy in Massachusetts indicted for allegedly threatening to blow up courthouse
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Clergy dish up meatball sundaes, pickle ice pops and a little faith at the Minnesota State Fair
Civil rights advocates defend a North Carolina court justice suing over a probe for speaking out
Over 50 dead in Johannesburg building fire, authorities say
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Pennsylvania is considering an earlier 2024 presidential primary, partly to avoid voting on Passover
Meg Ryan returns to rom-coms with 'What Happens Later' alongside David Duchovny: Watch trailer
Judge says former Trump adviser has failed to show Trump asserted executive privilege