Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-E. Jean Carroll can seek more damages against Trump, judge says -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-E. Jean Carroll can seek more damages against Trump, judge says
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 08:39:25
Author E. Jean Carroll can Will Sage Astoramend her original defamation lawsuit against former President Donald Trump to include comments he made at a CNN town hall event last month, a federal judge said Tuesday.
Carroll is seeking at least $10 million in new damages after he repeated statements that, according to her lawyer, a jury had found to be defamatory against her.
"We look forward to moving ahead expeditiously on E. Jean Carroll's remaining claims," Carroll's attorney, Roberta Kaplan, said in a statement Tuesday.
Trump disparaged Carroll in the CNN town hall on May 10, one day after a federal jury in New York found him liable for battery and defamation in a civil trial stemming from allegations he raped Carroll in a department store dressing room in the mid-1990s.
After Trump made the comments, Carroll filed an amended complaint in her first defamation lawsuit against him. The lawsuit was originally filed in 2019 and is still pending. It is separate from the second lawsuit in which a jury awarded her $5 million and concluded that Trump was liable for sexual abuse and defamation.
In the amended complaint, Kaplan argued that Trump, during the town hall, showed he was "undeterred by the jury's verdict" and "persisted in maliciously defaming Carroll yet again."
"On the very next day, May 10, 2023, Trump lashed out against Carroll during a televised, primetime 'town hall' event hosted by CNN," Kaplan wrote. "He doubled down on his prior defamatory statements, asserting to an audience all too ready to cheer him on that 'I never met this woman. I never saw this woman,' that he did not sexually assault Carroll, and that her account —which had just been validated by a jury of Trump's peers one day before— was a 'fake,' 'made up story' invented by a 'whack job.'"
Trump made the comments in response to a question about what he would tell voters who say the verdict should disqualify him from running for president.
"We maintain that she should not be permitted to retroactively change her legal theory, at the eleventh hour, to avoid the consequences of an adverse finding against her," Trump attorney Alina Habba told CBS News on Tuesday.
The judge's decision comes the same day that the former president was arraigned in a Miami courtroom on federal charges related to his handling of sensitive documents after he left the White House. Trump pleaded not guilty to 37 felony counts.
- In:
- Donald Trump
Graham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (42)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Dutch bank ING says it is accelerating its shift away from funding fossil fuels after COP28 deal
- Dancing in her best dresses, fearless, a TikTok performer recreates the whole Eras Tour
- Three of the biggest porn sites must verify ages to protect kids under Europe’s new digital law
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- How the markets and the economy surprised investors and economists in 2023, by the numbers
- Earthquake in China leaves at least 126 dead, hundreds injured
- Why Kristin Cavallari Says She Cut Her Narcissist Dad Out of Her Life
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Italian prosecutor acknowledges stalking threat against murdered woman may have been underestimated
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Barbie’s Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach Are Married
- Plane breaks through thin ice on Minnesota ice fishing lake, 2 days after 35 anglers were rescued
- Ex-New York Giants running back Derrick Ward arrested in Los Angeles on suspicion of robbery
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Overly broad terrorist watchlist poses national security risks, Senate report says
- Cindy Crawford Reacts to Her Little Cameo on The Crown
- The Winner of The Voice Season 24 is…
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
What to know about Jeter Downs, who Yankees claimed on waivers from Nationals
China showed greater willingness to influence U.S. midterm elections in 2022, intel assessment says
Germany’s top prosecutor files motion for asset forfeiture of $789 million of frozen Russian money
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Dutch bank ING says it is accelerating its shift away from funding fossil fuels after COP28 deal
The US has released an ally of Venezuela’s president in a swap for jailed Americans, the AP learns
Vice President Harris announces nationwide events focused on abortion