Current:Home > reviewsCharles Barkley calls for Joe Biden to 'pass the torch' to younger nominee in election -Capitatum
Charles Barkley calls for Joe Biden to 'pass the torch' to younger nominee in election
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 09:01:29
Charles Barkley says it's time for President Joe Biden to "pass the torch" to a new Democratic nominee.
During an appearance on CNBC's "Closing Bell," which aired live from the American Century Championship in Lake Tahoe, Nevada on Thursday, the Basketball Hall of Famer discussed the NBA’s new $76 billion TV and media rights deal, in addition to his upcoming retirement from TNT's "Inside the NBA" and television commentary after the 2024-25 NBA season. He also weighed in on the upcoming 2024 presidential election.
"I have nothing but admiration and respect for President Biden. But it's time for him to pass the torch to a younger generation," Barkley said. "(Biden) is one of the greatest people I've been fortunate to be around in my life, but it's time to pass the torch."
Barkley joins a growing list of supporters calling for Biden to withdraw from the presidential election amid concerns over about the president's age and health. Biden turns 82 in November.
"(Biden) has been a great person, he's a great man. This isn't something I'm saying now. I've said it a year ago. It's time for him to pass the torch," said Barkley, who added that he feels "sadness" about the upcoming election.
Despite his concerns about Biden and the Democratic Party, Barkley said he will not support President Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential candidate: "I would never vote for someone who has that mentality."
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast. Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
Barkley, who has served as a television analyst on TNT's "Inside the NBA" for 24 years, also addressed TNT being on the verge of losing the TV and media rights to the NBA to Disney (ABC/ESPN), NBC and Amazon. (Turner Sports does have an opportunity to match a portion of the deal, but the match involves more than a dollar amount, according to a person who spoke with USA TODAY Sports about the media rights deal. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly because details of the deal were still being tweaked.)
"I really feel bad for everybody at TNT," Barkley said. "I really hope we match. Honestly in my heart, I think we have lost the package. That's my honest opinion."
Barkley, 61, doubled down on his decision to retire if that's the case: "The main reason I was talking about next year being my last year – I wouldn't feel comfortable going to work for another network. It'll be 25 years that I've been working with Turner, and I love everybody at Turner, but at this age to go and start over, I don't know if I want to do that."
Contributing: Scooby Axson, Jeff Zillgitt
veryGood! (8)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Spain considers using military barracks to house migrants amid uptick in arrivals by boat
- Judge finds former Ohio lawmaker guilty of domestic violence in incident involving his wife
- Alone in car, Michigan toddler dies from gunshot wound that police believe came from unsecured gun
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- UN chief appoints 39-member panel to advise on international governance of artificial intelligence
- Jason Momoa reunites with high school girlfriend 25 years later: See their romance in pics
- Judge says Georgia’s congressional and legislative districts are discriminatory and must be redrawn
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Miller and Márquez joined by 5 first-time World Series umpires for Fall Classic
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Darius Miles, ex-Alabama basketball player, denied dismissal of capital murder charge
- Indian company that makes EV battery materials to build its first US plant in North Carolina
- Survivors of deadly Hurricane Otis grow desperate for food and aid amid slow government response
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- NHL suspends Ottawa Senators' Shane Pinto half a season for violating sports wagering rules
- Judge finds former Ohio lawmaker guilty of domestic violence in incident involving his wife
- A salty problem for people near the mouth of the Mississippi is a wakeup call for New Orleans
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Report: Quran-burning protester is ordered to leave Sweden but deportation on hold for now
Son of federal judge in Puerto Rico pleads guilty to killing wife after winning new trial
With map redrawn favoring GOP, North Carolina Democratic US Rep. Jackson to run for attorney general
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Farmington police release video from fatal shooting of armed man on Navajo reservation
Emily in Paris Costars Ashley Park and Paul Forman Spark Romance Rumors With Cozy Outing
Britney Spears Reveals What Exes Justin Timberlake and Kevin Federline Ruined for Her