Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:Italy bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue -Capitatum
Surpassing:Italy bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:16:53
Italy's Culture Ministry has banned loans of works to the Minneapolis Institute of Art, following a dispute with the U.S. museum over an ancient marble statue believed to have been looted from Italy almost a half-century ago.
The dispute began in March 2022 when an Italian court ruled that the Minneapolis museum was irregularly in possession of the Stabiae Doriforo, a Roman-era copy of The Doryphoros of Polykleitos, an ancient Greek sculpture.
Rome claims that the sculpture was looted in the 1970s from an archaeological site at Stabiae, an ancient city close to Pompeii that was also covered by lava and ashes when Mount Vesuvius erupted in A.D. 79.
Massimo Osanna, director general of national museums for Italy's Ministry of Culture, confirmed the ban in a statement given to WCCO on Thursday.
"The situation for us is very clear: the statue was excavated illegally in Italy and illegally left our territory," Osanna said. "Until the Doryphoros will be returned, there will be no further cooperation from our entire national museum system with the museum in Minneapolis."
In February 2022, Italian prosecutors issued an international warrant for the artwork to be impounded and returned. At a news conference earlier this year, Nunzio Fragliasso, chief prosecutor at the Torre Annunziata court, said they were "still awaiting a response."
In 1984, while the work was on display in a German museum, Italy initiated a legal proceeding to claim it. The claim was denied in 1986. The U.S. museum, which bought the statue in 1986 for $2.5 million, said it was purchased from art dealer Elie Borowski and imported into the United States.
"Since that time, the work has been publicly displayed and extensively published," the Minneapolis museum said in a statement. "While it takes issue with recent press reports regarding the Doryphoros, Mia (the museum) believes that the media is not an appropriate forum to address unproven allegations."
The museum asserted that it has always acted "responsibly and proactively" with respect to claims related to its collection. However, it added, "where proof has not been provided, as well as where Mia has evidence reasonably demonstrating that a claim is not supported, Mia has declined to transfer the work."
The museum called Italy's new ban on loans "contrary to decades of exchanges between museums."
The Minnesota Institute of Art originally opened its doors in 1915. The museum expanded in 1974 and 2006.
There are more than 89,000 objects held in the museum.
- In:
- Rome
- Italy
- Politics
- Entertainment
- Minneapolis
veryGood! (4461)
Related
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Oil tanks catch fire at quarry in Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC
- These Top-Rated Teeth Whitening Products Will Make You Smile Nonstop
- Coal Power Plunged Again in 2023 and Is Fading Away in the U.S. So What Replaces It?
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- NFL investigating Eagles for tampering. Did Philadelphia tamper with Saquon Barkley?
- Small businesses are cutting jobs. It's a warning sign for the US economy.
- Prosecutors: A ‘network’ of supporters helped fugitives avoid capture after Capitol riot
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Derek Hough Details Wife Hayley Erbert's Possible Dance Comeback After Skull Surgery
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Stumpy, D.C.'s beloved short cherry tree, to be uprooted after cherry blossoms bloom
- Connecticut considering barring legacy admissions at private colleges, in addition to public ones
- Maryland Senate nearing vote on $63B budget legislation for next fiscal year
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Massachusetts Senate passes bill to make child care more affordable
- Kali Uchis Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Don Toliver
- Facts about hail, the icy precipitation often encountered in spring and summer
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
These Top-Rated Teeth Whitening Products Will Make You Smile Nonstop
Elon Musk Spotted on Rare Father-Son Outing With His and Grimes’ Son X Æ A-XII
Kali Uchis Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Don Toliver
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
What You Need to Know About Olivia Munn's Breast Cancer Diagnosis
Oregon GOP senators barred from reelection over walkout seek statewide office instead
With rising rents, some school districts are trying to find teachers affordable housing