Current:Home > MyBenjamin Ashford|Chipotle CEO addresses portion complaints spawned by viral 'Camera Trick' TikTok challenge -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|Chipotle CEO addresses portion complaints spawned by viral 'Camera Trick' TikTok challenge
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 09:32:30
Chipotle customers' bowls and Benjamin Ashfordburritos may be heftier going forward after the chain's CEO addressed social media users' concerns over portion sizes during an investor call.
Brian Niccol, the chairman and CEO of Chipotle, announced during the chain's second-quarter call that leadership is emphasizing "training" and "coaching" to ensure its employees across all 3,500 locations are "consistently making bowls and burritos correctly."
"There was never a directive to provide less to our customers. Generous portions is a core brand equity of Chipotle. It always has been, and it always will be,” Niccol said at the beginning of the call.
Chipotle has already begun reemphasizing "generous portions" by focusing on locations with outlier portion scores based on consumer surveys, according to Niccol. The chain's efforts have yielded positive results so far as its consumer scores and value proposition "remain very strong," he added.
"Our guests expect this now more than ever, and we are committed to making this investment to reinforce that Chipotle stands for a generous amount of delicious (and) fresh food at fair prices for every customer every visit," Niccol said.
The 'Chipotle Camera Trick Challenge'
Due to several social media users complaining about Chipotle's portions, a viral challenge was developed to put more pressure on the workers so they would add more food to a customer's bowl or burrito.
The "Chipotle Camera Trick Challenge" is a TikTok trend involving a customer, and sometimes spectators, pointing cameras at a restaurant worker in an attempt to make them increase portion sizes.
TikTok user, AiVideoLab, shared a post of himself filming a Chipotle worker with a movie camera.
"Brought my camera into Chipotle and they hooked it up #Chipotle #chipotlebowl #portionsizes #aivideolab," the caption for the TikTok post, which has over 2.2 million views, said.
Another TikTok user, ryanhitdalotto, posted a similar video but he used his cellphone to record the Chipotle worker preparing his order. During the video, a voice is heard saying, "She doesn't even know I'm about to leave."
"Enough is enough we want more food @Chipotle #trending #viral #food #chipotle #mukbang #minnesota," the caption for the TikTok post, which has over 2.5 million views, said.
Ace the Courageous posted a TikTok video of himself and his friends doing the challenge, but they went to the Chipotle location with multiple cameras, a boom mic and a foldable white backdrop. Security attempted to kick out the creator and his friends out of the restaurant multiple times in the video.
The creator captioned the video, which has 2.4 million views, the "Chipotle food hack."
TikTok creator Eric Decker experimented to see if filming the workers would result in a heavier burrito. In the social media post, he bought a burrito from Chipotle using a film crew and another time without. The burrito he received using the film crew weighed more than the one he bought without them.
How is Chipotle doing despite portion complaints?
Portion complaints aside, Chipotle's total sales grew 18% to reach nearly $3 billion in revenue for the second quarter, Niccol said during the call.
Chipotle also opened up 53 new restaurants, according to Niccol.
Chipotle shares rose 3.8% in Thursday's premarket trade, jumping almost 14% following the call, Yahoo Finance reported. The stock traded down roughly 1% Thursday afternoon.
veryGood! (536)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Trump wants to narrow his deficit with women but he’s not changing how he talks about them
- Karma is the guy in Indy: Travis Kelce attends Saturday night Eras Tour
- Cardinals rush to close State Farm Stadium roof after unexpected hail in second quarter
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Takeaways from AP’s report on how immigration transformed a Minnesota farm town
- Lionel Messi's MLS title chase could end in first round. There's no panic from Inter Miami
- Richard Moore executed in South Carolina after governor rejects clemency arguments
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Pacific and Caribbean Island Nations Call for the First Universal Carbon Levy on International Shipping Emissions
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Federal judge lets Iowa keep challenging voter rolls although naturalized citizens may be affected
- Nevada lithium mine will crush rare plant habitat US said is critical to its survival, lawsuit says
- Weather system in southern Caribbean expected to strengthen and head northward this week
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Opinion: What is Halloween like at the White House? It depends on the president.
- Advocates, Legislators Are Confident Maryland Law to Rectify Retail Energy Market Will Survive Industry’s Legal Challenge
- Spoilers! What to know about that big twist in 'The Diplomat' finale
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
James Van Der Beek Apologizes to Loved Ones Who Learned of His Cancer Diagnosis Through the Media
The man who took in orphaned Peanut the squirrel says it’s ‘surreal’ officials euthanized his pet
Endangered Bats Have Slowed, But Not Stopped, a Waterfront Mega-Development in Charleston. Could Flood Risk?
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Trial in 2017 killings of 2 teenage girls in Indiana reaches midway point as prosecution rests
Will the 'khakis' be making a comeback this Election Day? Steve Kornacki says 'we'll see'
'Trump Alleged Shooter' sends letter to Palm Beach Post