Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Australia man who allegedly zip tied young Indigenous children's hands charged with assault -Capitatum
Charles Langston:Australia man who allegedly zip tied young Indigenous children's hands charged with assault
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:13:53
Police in Australia have Charles Langstoncharged a 45-year-old man with assault after a video clip went viral appearing to show him standing in front of young Indigenous children whom he'd restrained with zip ties.
Western Australia Police Acting Assistant Commissioner Rod Wilde said police received a call Tuesday afternoon from a resident in the town of Broome, who reported that children — later said to be aged six, seven and eight — were swimming without permission in an "unoccupied pool" at a neighboring property.
Ten minutes later, the police said they received a second call from the man, telling them he'd restrained the children for causing damage at the same location.
Officers who arrived at the home found the two younger children "physically restrained" with zip ties, and later found the eight-year-old boy who had fled the scene.
The police said the level of force used to restrain the children "was not proportionate in the circumstances."
The man, who has not been identified by the police, has been charged with aggravated assault.
The video that spread quickly online shows two of the children tied up and crying while onlookers shout at the man, who is white, to let them go.
"That was a very distressing piece of video that we all saw yesterday," Western Australia Premier Roger Cook said at a Wednesday news conference, according to the French news agency AFP. "I understand that raises very strong emotions in everyone but just please, everyone, let the police get on and do their job."
Cook said police would continue to "monitor the situation in terms of the community emotions up there and deploy resources appropriately."
The man was granted bail and was due to appear before the Broome Magistrates Court on March 25.
The three children are under the age of criminal responsibility in Australia, which is 10, so even if they had been trespassing, they could not have been charged with any crime.
The treatment of Indigenous children is sensitive in Australia. Thousands of young Indigenous Australians were taken from their families and placed in foster care with white families or white-run institutions under government policies that continued into the early 1970s.
In 2008, the Australian government issued a formal apology for the decades of degrading and abusive policies.
"We apologize for the laws and policies of successive parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians," then-Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said in Parliament at the time.
But incidents of abuse have continued to crop up, including video that prompted a formal investigation in 2016 showing Indigenous teens being tear-gassed, stripped naked and shackled to a chair at a state-run juvenile detention center.
- In:
- Indigenous
- Australia
- Racism
- Children
- Child Abuse
veryGood! (624)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Takeaways from AP’s Interview with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
- A 5.5 magnitude earthquake jolts Bangladesh
- NFL makes historic flex to 'MNF' schedule, booting Chiefs-Patriots for Eagles-Seahawks
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Why is George Santos facing an expulsion vote? Here are the charges and allegations against him
- Week 14 college football predictions: Our picks for every championship game
- Cyprus and Chevron reach a deal to develop an offshore natural gas field, ending years of delays
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- LeBron James' business partner, Maverick Carter, bet on NBA games with illegal bookie, per report
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Why The Crown's Meg Bellamy Was Nervous About Kate Middleton's Iconic See-Through Skirt Moment
- DeSantis says Florida GOP chair should resign amid rape allegation
- Barbie’s Simu Liu Shares He's Facing Health Scares
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Authorities in Haiti question former rebel leader Guy Philippe after the US repatriated him
- Virginia Environmental Groups Form New Data Center Reform Coalition, Call for More Industry Oversight
- Big Oil Leads at COP28
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Ryan Cabrera and WWE’s Alexa Bliss Welcome First Baby
The Essentials: Dove Cameron gets vulnerable on 'Alchemical.' Here are her writing musts
Dying mother of Israeli hostage Noa Argamani pleads for her release
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Kelly Clarkson's ex Brandon Blackstock ordered to repay her $2.6M for unlawful business deals: Reports
A UN court is ruling on request to order Venezuela to halt part of a referendum on a disputed region
Dak Prescott throws for 3 TDs, Cowboys extend home win streak to 14 with 41-35 win over Seahawks