Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Cleveland museum sues to stop seizure of statue believed to depict Marcus Aurelius -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Cleveland museum sues to stop seizure of statue believed to depict Marcus Aurelius
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:53:57
CLEVELAND (AP) — The Oliver James MontgomeryCleveland Museum of Art has sued New York City authorities over their seizure of a headless bronze statue believed to depict the Roman emperor and philosopher Marcus Aurelius.
A warrant signed by a judge in Manhattan on Aug. 14 ordered the seizure of the statue, which the museum acquired in 1986 and had been a highlight of its collection of ancient Roman art. The museum argues in its suit that the statue was lawfully obtained and that Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office has no legal authority to seize it.
The warrant was secured as part of an ongoing investigation into a smuggling network involving antiquities looted from Bubon in southwestern Turkey and trafficked through Manhattan, a spokesperson for Bragg has said. The 76-inch (1.9-meter) statue dates from A.D. 180 to 200 and is worth $20 million, according to the district attorney’s office.
The suit filed Thursday asks a judge to declare that the museum is the rightful owner of the statue, which it calls “one of the most significant works in the (museum’s) collection” of some 61,000 objects. Museum officials have repeatedly told the district attorney that their evidence is insufficient and suggested other investigative avenues, according to the suit, but all have been refused.
The museum said it also has consulted experts who cast “significant doubt” on the identification of the statue as Marcus Aurelius, noting the experts believe it’s more likely a statue of another Greek philosopher.
A spokesman for Bragg said the office is reviewing the lawsuit and “will respond in court papers.” He also noted the office has successfully recovered more than 4,600 illegally traffic antiquities.
Museum spokesman Todd Mesek said it does not discuss ongoing litigation but noted the museum takes provenance issues very seriously.
The statue was removed from view earlier this year, and the museum changed the description of the piece on its website, where it calls the statue a “Draped Male Figure” instead of indicating a connection to Marcus Aurelius.
Turkey first made claims about the statue in 2012 when it released a list of nearly two dozen objects in the Cleveland museum’s collection that it said had been looted from Bubon and other locations. Museum officials said at the time that Turkey had provided no hard evidence of looting.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office has worked in recent years to repatriate hundreds of objects looted from countries including Turkey, Greece, Israel and Italy. It was unclear who might be targeted in the investigation of the statue seized in Cleveland.
Marcus Aurelius ruled as Roman emperor from A.D. 161 to 180 and was a Stoic philosopher whose “Meditations” have been studied over the centuries.
The seized statue shows a man in flowing robes holding one hand in front of him in a regal pose.
veryGood! (42)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Republican effort to restore abortion rights in Missouri folds
- Senate clears another procedural hurdle on foreign aid package in rare Sunday vote
- Was this Chiefs' worst Super Bowl title team? Where 2023 squad ranks in franchise history
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Can candy be a healthy Valentine's Day snack? Experts share how to have a healthy holiday.
- Usher reflecting on history of segregation in Las Vegas was best Super Bowl pregame story
- We recap the 2024 Super Bowl
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- 2024 NFL draft order: All 32 first-round selections set after Super Bowl 58
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Nearly half of the world’s migratory species are in decline, UN report says
- During Mardi Gras, Tons of Fun Comes With Tons of Toxic Beads
- The World Is Losing Migratory Species At Alarming Rates
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Storming of Ecuador TV station by armed men has ominous connection: Mexican drug cartels
- Maine native completes hike of American Discovery Trail, becoming first woman to do it solo
- Flight attendants don't earn their hourly pay until aircraft doors close. Here's why
Recommendation
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Full transcript of Face the Nation, Feb. 11, 2024
Give Patrick Mahomes and Brittany Mahomes a Trophy for Their Family Celebration After Super Bowl Win
Good Samaritan rushes to help victims of Naples, Florida plane crash: 'Are they alive?'
Could your smelly farts help science?
Shop J. Crew’s Jaw-Dropping Sale for up to 95% off With Deals Starting at Under $10
Trump arrives in federal court in Florida for closed hearing in his classified documents case
2024 NFL draft order: All 32 first-round selections set after Super Bowl 58