Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:Buca di Beppo files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after closing several locations -Capitatum
TradeEdge Exchange:Buca di Beppo files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after closing several locations
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 10:28:50
On the heels of closing scores of locations in recent weeks,TradeEdge Exchange Buca Di Beppo has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, court documents filed Monday show.
The company blamed its financial woes on things including rising costs and hiring difficulty, according to information from the restaurant and court papers filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas.
In its 21-page petition obtained by USA TODAY, the Orlando-based casual restaurant chain named 30 creditors it owes close to $50 million.
The chain of Italian-American restaurants has been slowly shuttering its doors since COVID hit in 2020 and last month closed nearly 20% of its locations, according to Restaurant Business Magazine.
On July 30, the magazine reported Buca's parent company Earl Enterprises said several of its locations "had been unable to recover from the pandemic and other market pressures."
Learn more: Best debt consolidation loans
In a statement released by the eatery Monday, leaders wrote Buca is restructuring 44 core locations and is in the process of opening one new location.
"The company is committed to ensuring that the restaurants operate as usual, and all gift cards, reservations, and promotional services currently remain active and redeemable," the statement reads.
"While the restaurant industry has faced significant challenges, this move is the best next step for our brand," said the company's President Rich Saultz. "By restructuring with the continued support of our lenders, we are paving the way toward a reinvigorated future. Buca di Beppo has been a beloved gathering place for celebrations and memorable meals for many years, and we are enthusiastic about entering this next phase of our brand's story."
What Buca di Beppo stores closed most recently?
Known for their family-style serving portions of Italian food, the company most recently shuttered other locations in Arizona, California, Pennsylvania, Utah and Michigan.
Founded in 1993 in a Minneapolis apartment basement, Planet Hollywood International purchased the casual chain in 2008.
How many Buca di Beppos remain open?
According to the company, 44 locations in 14 states will remain open.
The Buca di Beppo website appears to list active restaurants on it's location finder.
"We believe this path will best allow us to continue to serve Buca's patrons and communities for many years to come," William Snyder, Chief Restructuring Officer of Buca C, LLC, released in a statement Monday after signing the bankruptcy petition.
"We are open for business in 44 locations, and we expect day-to-day operations to continue uninterrupted.," Snyder said. "We anticipate moving through this process as quickly and efficiently as possible to emerge as a stronger organization built for the future."
The petition named the company's attorney, Amber Carson who could not immediately be reached.
USA TODAY has reached out to Buca for more information.
Contributing: Maria Frances and Bahar Anooshahr
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (11)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- AP Week in Pictures: North America
- Six Flags, Cedar Fair merge to form $8 billion company in major amusement park deal
- Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith and the dangers of oversharing intimate details on social media
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Breonna Taylor’s neighbor testified son was nearly shot by officer’s stray bullets during 2020 raid
- Why Olivia Rodrigo and Actor Louis Partridge Are Sparking Romance Rumors
- Prosecutor: Former Memphis officer pleads guilty to state and federal charges in Tyre Nichols’ death
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Thousands of Las Vegas Strip hotel workers at 18 casinos could go on strike this month
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- 9 students from same high school overdose on suspected fentanyl, Virginia governor steps in
- 'Paradigm' shift: Are Commanders headed for rebuild after trading defensive stars?
- Mississippi voter registration numbers remain steady heading into Tuesday’s general election
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Officials: No immediate threat to public after freight cars derail from tracks near Detroit
- Utah man says Grubhub delivery driver mistakenly gave him urine instead of milkshake
- Video captures final screams of pro cyclist Mo Wilson after accused killer Kaitlin Armstrong tracked her on fitness app, prosecutor says
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Go Inside Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet’s Star-Studded Date Night in NYC
Utah woman’s leg amputated after being attacked by her son’s dogs in her own backyard
Predictions for NASCAR Cup Series finale: Odds favor Larson, Byron, Blaney, Bell
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Amazon used an algorithm to essentially raise prices on other sites, the FTC says
Matthew Perry's memoir tops Amazon's best-selling books list days after his passing
Japanese consumers are eating more local fish in spite of China’s ban due to Fukushima wastewater