Current:Home > ContactCassie Ventura reacts to Sean "Diddy" Combs video of apparent attack in hotel -Capitatum
Cassie Ventura reacts to Sean "Diddy" Combs video of apparent attack in hotel
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-05 21:30:43
Cassie Ventura has reacted to newly released surveillance video that appears to show her ex-boyfriend Sean "Diddy" Combs attacking her in a hotel. The singer, who previously sued the rapper and businessman for years of alleged abuse, thanked people for the outpouring of support.
Ventura's November lawsuit against Combs was settled the day after it was filed, but Combs soon faced several more suits and a federal criminal sex-trafficking investigation.
In her suit, Cassie describes a 2016 incident at an InterContinental Hotel in the Century City area of Los Angeles, which matches the details of the surveillance video recently released by CNN. The suit alleges Combs paid the hotel $50,000 for the security video and is unclear how CNN obtained it. Combs has denied the allegations in the lawsuit.
Combs has since posted a video on social media apologizing for the incident in the video, saying his behavior was "inexcusable" and he takes "full responsibility" for his actions.
Now, Ventura, 37, has broken her silence, sharing a statement on social media Thursday. "The outpouring of love has created a place for my younger self to settle and feel safe now, but this is only the beginning," she wrote.
"Domestic violence is THE issue. It broke me down to someone I never thought I would become," she said. "With a lot of hard work, I am better today but I will always be recovering from my past."
She asked people to open their hearts and believe victims. "It takes a lot of heart to tell the truth about a situation that you were powerless in," she said.
Following the release of the video, Douglas Wigdor, an attorney for Cassie who has filed other lawsuits against Combs, released a statement calling it "gut-wrenching."
The video "has only further confirmed the disturbing and predatory behavior of Mr. Combs," he said. "Words cannot express the courage and fortitude that Ms. Ventura has shown in coming forward to bring this to light."
Combs has faced several allegations since Ventura filed her lawsuit in November. A woman alleged he sexually assaulted her in 1991 and another claimed he and two other men raped her when she was 17 in 2003. Combs' legal team have taken action to dismiss parts or the entirety of these suits.
In March, search warrants of his Los Angeles and Miami homes were conducted by Homeland Security in their sex-trafficking investigation, which is continuing.
Combs has not been charged and his lawyer said the investigation is a "a gross use of military-level force."
Caitlin O'KaneCaitlin O'Kane is a New York City journalist who works on the CBS News social media team as a eenior manager of content and production. She writes about a variety of topics and produces "The Uplift," CBS News' streaming show that focuses on good news.
veryGood! (3773)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Vermont State Police searching for 2 young men who disappeared
- How women finally got hip-hop respect: 'The female rapper is unlike any other entertainer'
- Georgetown women's basketball coach Tasha Butts dies after battle with breast cancer
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- James Patterson says checked egos are key to co-author success, hints at big actor collab
- Lauryn Hill postpones Philadelphia tour stop to avoid 'serious strain' on vocal cords
- Leading in early results, Machado claims win in Venezuelan opposition’s presidential primary
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Kim Kardashian Gives a Sweet Shoutout to Kourtney Kardashian After Sister Misses Her Birthday Dinner
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Juvenile arrested in California weeks after shooting outside Denver bar injured 5 people
- Prominent German leftist to launch a new party that could eat into far-right’s support
- Shay Mitchell Launches New BÉIS Plaid Collection Just in Time for the Holidays
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Bad Bunny's 'SNL' gig sees appearances from Pedro Pascal, Mick Jagger and Lady Gaga
- In 'I Must Be Dreaming,' Roz Chast succeeds in engaging us with her dreams
- Milwaukee comic shop looking to sell copy of first appearance of Spider-Man, book could go for $35K
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Grizzlies' Steven Adams to undergo season-ending surgery for knee injury
No fighting! NFL issues memo warning of 'significant' punishment for scuffles
Mega Millions winning numbers for Oct. 20: See if you won the $91 million jackpot
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Don Laughlin, resort-casino owner and architect behind Nevada town, is dead at 92
Montana man gets 18 months in federal prison for repeated racist phone calls made to a church
Zach Edey named unanimous AP preseason All-American, joined by Kolek, Dickinson, Filipowski, Bacot