Current:Home > InvestNCAA presents options to expand March Madness tournaments from current 68 teams, AP source says -Capitatum
NCAA presents options to expand March Madness tournaments from current 68 teams, AP source says
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 08:53:43
The NCAA has presented a plan to Division I conference commissioners that would expand the lucrative men’s and women’s basketball tournaments by four or eight teams alongside an option to leave each field at 68 teams, according to a person familiar with the details.
The proposals were outlined to the commissioners this week by NCAA Senior Vice President of Basketball Dan Gavitt and NCAA Vice President for Women’s Basketball Lynn Holzman, the person told The Associated Press on Thursday on condition of anonymity because no official announcements have been made. The news was first reported by Yahoo! Sports.
Under the proposal, expansion of the 68-team field included both four- and eight-team models. The NCAA would keep its 64-team bracket but would add play-in games involving the 10 through 12 seeds.
If the men’s tournament were to expand it is expected the women’s tourney would as well.
There are many in college basketball who have said they believe the 68-team fields and three weekends of play are ideal but pressure has grown to add teams and games to one of the most popular sports events on the U.S. calendar. Last year, the NCAA Division I board of directors approved recommendations that included allowing one quarter of teams in larger sports to compete in championship events; in that scenario, March Madness tourneys could expand to nearly 90 teams.
The NCAA is currently in the midst of an eight-year extension of its TV deal for the men’s tournament worth $8.8 billion that runs through 2032. That would not be expected to change if a handful of teams are added.
More games would provide a small boost through ticket sales and merchandise, but the pool of money the NCAA uses to pay out conferences and member schools would essentially stay the same. What could change, however, is how that money would be divided up if the tournament broadens.
Expansion would also mean the men’s tournament would have to find an additional site besides Dayton for its First Four games. The Ohio city already has games on Tuesday and Wednesday and wouldn’t be able to host additional play-in games ahead of the tourney’s traditional first-round opening on Thursday. Women’s play-in games are at the same campus sites as the first two rounds of the tournament.
Expansion is largely backed by larger conferences and smaller leagues do not want to lose the automatic bids that come with a conference tournament championship or face the prospect of always being slotted for the play-in games.
The earliest the NCAA Tournament could expand would be the 2025-26 season, the person told AP. The NCAA basketball oversight committee meets next week and the tournament selection committee has a meeting next month.
The men’s tournament last expanded in 2011 when it went from 64 to 68 teams. The women’s tournament matched that in 2022.
The women’s tournament is coming off its most successful year ever that included a record audience of 18.7 million for the title game win by South Carolina over Iowa, the highest for a basketball broadcast of any kind in five years. It outdrew the men’s championship game — UConn winning its second consecutive title with a win over Purdue — by nearly 3 million viewers. The women’s tournament also had record attendance.
___
AP college basketball: https://apnews.com/hub/college-basketball
veryGood! (7853)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Canadian police say 6 people found dead in marsh near U.S. border in Quebec
- Millie Bobby Brown Enters the Vanderpump Universe in the Most Paws-itively Adorable Way
- U.S. troops diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries after attacks in Syria
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Credit Suisse chair apologizes to shareholders for bank's failure
- Your Pricey Peloton Has Another Problem For You To Sweat Over
- FKA twigs Reveals Her Romance With Jordan Hemingway to Take “Control of the Situation”
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- King Charles III visits Germany on first foreign trip as Britain's monarch
Ranking
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Farmer Wants a Wife Stars Reveal the Hardest Part of Dating—and It Involves Baby Cows
- Missing: Pet 5-year-old Bengal tiger stolen from home in Mexico
- Richard Branson's Virgin Orbit to cut 85% of its workforce
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Emma Roberts Gives Rare Glimpse Into Her Romance With Cody John in Sweet Birthday Tribute
- Avril Lavigne and Tyga Have a Twinning Fashion Week Moment After That Kiss
- Vanderpump Rules' Raquel Leviss Sends Legal Letters to Cast Over Intimate Tom Sandoval FaceTime
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Drug trafficking blamed as homicides soar in Costa Rica
Farmer Wants a Wife Stars Reveal the Hardest Part of Dating—and It Involves Baby Cows
Lisa Vanderpump Weighs in on the Most Shocking Part of Tom Sandoval and Raquel Leviss' Alleged Affair
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Ex-principal of Australian Jewish girls school convicted of sexually abusing students after extradition from Israel
U.K. cows could get methane suppressing products in effort to reduce farm greenhouse gas emissions
Black TikTok Creators Are On Strike To Protest A Lack Of Credit For Their Work