Current:Home > ScamsArmie Hammer’s Mom Dru Hammer Reveals Why She Stayed Quiet Amid Sexual Assault Allegation -Capitatum
Armie Hammer’s Mom Dru Hammer Reveals Why She Stayed Quiet Amid Sexual Assault Allegation
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:52:19
Armie Hammer’s mother is speaking out.
In her new book Hammered, Dru Hammer addressed the allegations brought against the actor, including an accusation of sexual assault.
“Armie made some bad personal choices that damaged his reputation and were hurtful to women,” she wrote in the book released July 30. “None of his choices were crimes. In fact, after an extensive look into what happened by the Los Angeles Police Department, all of the allegations were dismissed. Armie was cleared of all legal wrongdoing, but his moral wrongdoing was a different matter. The lingering effects of cancel culture endured, along with some broken hearts.”
Dru acknowledged Armie had been unfaithful to his then-wife Elizabeth Chambers before they announced their split in July 2020 after 10 years of marriage, which he's also admitted to.
“Much to his demise, Armie began exchanging messages with several women,” she wrote. “The texting led to infidelities. The three women connected and banded together to go after Armie to destroy him in the press. One of the women charged him with sexual assault and rape.”
Those allegations came from a woman who publicly identified herself as Effie. In March 2021, she said Armie had abused her mentally, emotionally and sexually and that he “violently raped” her four years prior. The Call Me By Your Name alum denied the accusations.
"From day one, Mr. Hammer has maintained that all of his interactions with [Effie]—and every other sexual partner of his for that matter—have been completely consensual, discussed and agreed upon in advance, and mutually participatory,” his attorney Andrew Brettler said in part of a March 2021 statement to E! News. “[Effie's] attention seeking and ill-advised legal bid will only make it more difficult for real victims of sexual violence to get the justice they deserve."
The Los Angeles Police Department confirmed to E! News at the time that they were investigating the allegations against Armie. In 2023, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office announced it would not be charging Armie with any crimes.
“In this case, those prosecutors conducted an extremely thorough review, but determined that at this time, there is insufficient evidence to charge Mr. Hammer with a crime,” Tiffiny Blacknell, Director of the Bureau of Communications for the D.A.'s office, told E! News at the time. “Due to the complexity of the relationship and inability to prove a non-consensual, forcible sexual encounter we are unable to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.”
Despite the lack of legal ramifications, though, Dru recalled how Armie “lost all of his work” and was “canceled” after a social media account posted what appeared to be graphic messages from him describing sexual acts and cannibalistic fantasies in January 2021 and how he faced additional accusations of misconduct, including allegations of manipulation and coercing women into BDSM.
Hammer denied the social media allegations, calling them “bulls--t claims” and “vicious and spurious online attacks.” His attorney Brettler also told Page Six at the time that any of Armie’s interactions with any partner “were completely consensual in that they were full discussed, agreed upon, and mutually participatory.”
While Dru didn’t specifically name names, she revealed in her book that she spoke directly to a few of his accusers.
“I met two of the three young women who came against Armie,” she continued. “They were both beautiful and wanted way more than Armie was capable of giving them at the time. They were looking at Armie as Mr. Right. Armie was looking at them as Ms. Right Now. As a mother, my heart was broken for all involved. The covenant God has for two becoming one was not in this equation.”
Dru also shared why she personally decided to not saying anything publicly.
“All of this unfolded at the beginning of covid when people were locked away in their homes,” she wrote. “The feeding frenzy for new information was at an all-time high. It was the perfect storm. Every day, more and more articles were published. Yet, Armie stayed silent. At the time, he had decided not to talk to anyone for the sake of his family."
She, on the other hand, struggled to remain silent.
"The protective mother wanted to call him and say, ‘Let me loose. I saw what puppy dogs these women were with you. How could this be happening?’" she admitted. "Instead, I also decided to stay quiet. It wasn’t appropriate for me to defend Armie even though I fought the urge with ever cell in my body. I prayed and mourned for my son and all involved. I prayed some more.”
veryGood! (2958)
Related
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Sister Wives' Kody Brown Claims Ex Meri Brown Was Never Loyal to Me Ever in Marriage
- As 'Pulp Fiction' turns 30, we rank all Quentin Tarantino movies
- Talking about sex is hard, no matter how old you are | The Excerpt
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Biden surveys Milton damage; Florida power will be restored by Tuesday: Updates
- Trump’s campaign crowdfunded millions online in an untraditional approach to emergency relief
- Country Singer Brantley Gilbert’s Wife Amber Gives Birth to Baby on Tour Bus Mid-Show
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Aidan Hutchinson's gruesome injury casts dark cloud over Lions after major statement win
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- The NBA’s parity era is here, with 6 champions in 6 years. Now Boston will try to buck that trend
- Bath & Body Works apologizes for candle packaging that sparked controversy
- SpaceX launches its mega Starship rocket. This time, mechanical arms will try to catch it at landing
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Florida power outage map: More than 400,000 still in the dark in Hurricane Milton aftermath
- Sacha Baron Cohen talks disappearing into 'cruel' new role for TV show 'Disclaimer'
- 'Terrifier 3' spoilers! Director unpacks ending and Art the Clown's gnarliest kills
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Bears vs. Jaguars in London: Start time, how to watch for Week 6 international game
SpaceX launches Starship the 5th time; successfully catches booster in huge mechanic arm
SpaceX launches Starship the 5th time; successfully catches booster in huge mechanic arm
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Horoscopes Today, October 14, 2024
‘Terrifier 3’ slashes ‘Joker’ to take No. 1 at the box office, Trump film ‘The Apprentice’ fizzles
'Just a pitching clinic': Jack Flaherty gem vs. Mets has Dodgers sitting pretty in NLCS