Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:Victims allege sex abuse in Maryland youth detention facilities under new law allowing them to sue -Capitatum
Charles Langston:Victims allege sex abuse in Maryland youth detention facilities under new law allowing them to sue
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:49:05
BALTIMORE (AP) — In the months since Maryland eliminated the statute of limitations for child sexual abuse claims,Charles Langston more than 100 victims have filed a slew of lawsuits alleging horrific treatment inside the state’s youth detention facilities.
State lawmakers passed the Child Victims Act with the Catholic Church clergy abuse scandal in mind after a scathing investigative report revealed the scope of the problem within the Archdiocese of Baltimore, which filed for bankruptcy to protect its assets from the impending wave of lawsuits.
With claims against the diocese now relegated to bankruptcy court, an unexpected spotlight has settled on the state’s juvenile justice system.
At least 50 plaintiffs sued the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services in early October, when the new law took effect. Rather than effectively rehabilitating at-risk youth, the department “locks them inside a cage to become the prey of sadistic staff whom they cannot escape,” according to one of six lawsuits that were filed as a coordinated effort between four law firms.
Since then, more complaints have been trickling in, with the latest filed earlier this week.
“Incarcerated people are particularly vulnerable because the correctional officers control pretty much every aspect of their lives,” said Jerome Block, an attorney with the New York firm Levy Konigsberg, which represents the plaintiffs in the latest case alongside co-counsel Brown Kiely of Bethesda.
“It’s a really insidious, systematic type of sexual abuse,” he said. “The complaints filed so far are only the tip of the iceberg.”
Block said he hopes the flurry of litigation will spur policy changes to prevent future abuse. However, the pending cases could encounter significant delays because the Child Victims Act is facing a widely anticipated constitutional challenge that must first be resolved.
A spokesperson for the state Department of Juvenile Services, Eric Solomon, said the agency is aware of the recent allegations and reviewing the lawsuits.
“DJS takes allegations of sexual abuse of children in our care very seriously and we are working hard to provide decent, humane, and rehabilitative environments for youth placed in the Department’s custody,” he wrote in a statement.
The complaints target juvenile justice facilities across the state. Some have closed in recent years but several remain in operation — including the Charles H. Hickey Jr. School northeast of Baltimore, which attorneys called “a hotbed of sexual abuse” in a lawsuit filed Wednesday on behalf of 37 men incarcerated there as children. The complaint accuses the Department of Juvenile Services of turning a blind eye for decades to a “culture of abuse” inside its detention facilities.
Staff members at the Hickey School would routinely enter children’s cells at night and rape them, sometimes in groups, according to the complaint. Many of the victims faced physical violence and threats, including solitary confinement and unfavorable behavior reports that could extend their incarceration. Some abusers would offer the children bribes such as snacks, cigarettes and more time outdoors, the complaint says.
In another lawsuit filed last week, 20 women alleged abuse at a detention center for girls in Laurel, Maryland, which the state closed last year amid ongoing efforts to improve its juvenile justice system and avoid sending incarcerated children hours away from home.
“Many girls who simply needed help went straight from difficult home lives into a traumatizing, prisonlike environment where they were regularly sexually abused,” that lawsuit alleges.
Earlier complaints targeted Baltimore’s youth jail, among other facilities.
At the Baltimore City Juvenile Justice Center, “Any attempts at reporting the conditions of the facility are quickly dissuaded by bribery, and if unsuccessful, threats and violence,” attorneys from four law firms, including Bailey Glasser, wrote.
When the Child Victims Act was drafted, lawmakers assumed its constitutionality would be challenged and included a provision that would put pending lawsuits on hold until the Supreme Court of Maryland can decide whether it’s constitutional. The Archdiocese of Washington, which covers parts of Maryland, filed such a challenge earlier this year in response to a lawsuit alleging clergy abuse.
Under the previous law, child sexual abuse victims couldn’t sue after turning 38.
veryGood! (411)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Jon Rahm backs new selection process for Olympics golf and advocates for team event
- Officer fatally shoots armed man on Indiana college campus after suspect doesn’t respond to commands
- Team USA Olympic athletes are able to mimic home at their own training facility in France
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Is This TikTok-Viral Lip Liner Stain Worth the Hype? See Why One E! Writer Thinks So
- Former New Hampshire youth detention center worker dies awaiting trial on sexual assault charges
- Are you an introvert? Here's what that means.
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Why Olympian Stephen Nedoroscik Doesn't Need His Glasses for Head-Spinning Pommel Horse Routine
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Quick! Banana Republic Factory’s Extra 40% Sale Won’t Last Long, Score Chic Classics Starting at $11
- Boeing names new CEO as it posts a loss of more than $1.4 billion in second quarter
- Two sets of US rowers qualify for finals as lightweight pairs falls off
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- The Latest: Project 2025’s director steps down, and Trump says Harris ‘doesn’t like Jewish people’
- An all-electric police fleet? California city replaces all gas-powered police cars.
- The Daily Money: The long wait for probate
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Mississippi man who defrauded pandemic relief fund out of $800K gets 18-month prison term
Take an Extra 50% Off J.Crew Sale Styles, 50% Off Reebok, 70% Off Gap, 70% Off Kate Spade & More Deals
North Carolina governor says Harris ‘has a lot of great options’ for running mate
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
3 inmates dead and at least 9 injured in rural Nevada prison ‘altercation,’ officials say
Missouri woman admits kidnapping and killing a pregnant Arkansas woman
Republican challenge to New York’s mail voting expansion reaches state’s highest court