Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-Ex-Honolulu prosecutor and five others found not guilty in bribery case -Capitatum
PredictIQ-Ex-Honolulu prosecutor and five others found not guilty in bribery case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 10:16:15
HONOLULU (AP) — A jury found Honolulu’s former top prosecutor not guilty Friday in a bribery case that alleged employees of an engineering and PredictIQarchitectural firm bribed him with campaign donations in exchange for his prosecution of a former company employee.
A U.S. grand jury indicted former Honolulu Prosecuting Attorney Keith Kaneshiro and five others in 2022. The indictment alleged that Mitsunaga & Associates employees and an attorney contributed more than $45,000 to Kaneshiro’s reelection campaigns between October 2012 and October 2016.
The firm’s owner, Dennis Mitsunaga, who was ordered jailed during the trial because of witness tampering allegations, was also found not guilty after nearly two days of deliberation, Hawaii News Now reported.
He was ordered released after the verdict.
The jury also found the other four defendants not guilty.
The former employee targeted with prosecution had been a project architect at Mitsunaga & Associates for 15 years when she was fired without explanation on the same day she expressed disagreement with claims the CEO made against her, court documents say.
Kaneshiro’s office prosecuted the architect, but a judge dismissed the case in 2017 for lack of probable cause.
“I feel vindicated,” Kaneshiro told reporters after the verdict. “But how am I going to get back my reputation?”
His attorney, Birney Bervar, told The Associated Press, “The first day I looked at this case I didn’t feel there was sufficient evidence of bribery.”
In January, a month before the trial was scheduled to begin, U.S. District Judge J. Michael Seabright, who had been presiding over the case, unexpectedly recused himself. U.S. Senior District Judge Timothy Burgess in Alaska stepped in to take over the case and traveled to Hawaii for the trial.
Burgess ruled in February that the trial wouldn’t be postponed further despite an investigation into allegations one of the defendants threatened Seabright, which prompted his recusal.
The trial began in March.
Prosecutors didn’t immediately comment on the verdict.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Unknown sailor's notebook found hidden in furniture tells story of USS Amesbury's WWII journey
- YouTuber Abhradeep Angry Rantman Saha Dead at 27 After Major Surgery
- 'Too drunk to fly': Intoxicated vultures rescued in Connecticut, fed food for hangover
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- TikToker Nara Smith Reveals “Controversial” Baby Names She Almost Gave Daughter Whimsy Lou Smith
- Man accused of pretending to be a priest to steal money across US arrested in California
- Indiana Fever's Caitlin Clark says she hopes the Pacers beat the Bucks in 2024 NBA playoffs
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Whistleblowers outline allegations of nepotism and retaliation within Albuquerque’s police academy
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Trump lawyers say Stormy Daniels refused subpoena outside a Brooklyn bar, papers left ‘at her feet’
- Whistleblowers outline allegations of nepotism and retaliation within Albuquerque’s police academy
- Takeaways from this week’s reports on the deadly 2023 Maui fire that destroyed Lahaina
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- North Carolina sees slight surplus this year, $1B more next year
- Trump trial jury selection process follows a familiar pattern with an unpredictable outcome
- Once praised, settlement to help sickened BP oil spill workers leaves most with nearly nothing
Recommendation
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Western States Could Make Billions Selling Renewable Energy, But They’ll Need a Lot More Regional Transmission Lines
Q&A: Phish’s Trey Anastasio on playing the Sphere, and keeping the creativity going after 40 years
Donald Trump slams Jimmy Kimmel for Oscars flub, seemingly mixing him up with Al Pacino
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
NBA play-in tournament: 76ers snag No. 7 seed, Bulls KO Hawks behind Coby White's career night
Man sentenced to 47 years to life for kidnapping 9-year-old girl from upstate New York park
Zion Williamson out for Pelicans play-in elimination game against Kings