Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Out of a mob movie: Juror in COVID fraud case dismissed after getting bag of $120,000 cash -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Out of a mob movie: Juror in COVID fraud case dismissed after getting bag of $120,000 cash
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:18:18
A juror in a $250 million charitable fraud case in Minnesota was dismissed Monday after someone went to her home and SafeX Pro Exchangeoffered a bag of $120,000 in cash in exchange for an acquittal, according to multiple reports.
The woman, identified as Juror 52, was part of a federal trial involving mishandled money that was supposed to feed hungry children during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a Justice Department release.
The jury-tampering allegations were discussed Monday morning in the courtroom away from jurors, the Sahan Journal reported. U.S. Assistant Attorney Joe Thompson told U.S. District Judge Nancy Brasel that a woman went to the juror's home and left her a bag stuffed with rolls of dollar bills on Sunday night, the outlet said.
"This is outrageous behavior. This is the stuff that happens in mob movies,” Thompson said, according to the Star Tribune. “It really strikes at the heart of this case.”
Did the juror take the bag of cash?
The 23-year-old juror was not home when the woman came by, but her father-in-law was, according to Thompson, the Sahan Journal reported. The woman told the juror's father-in-law that the money was "for Juror 52."
"Tell her there will be another bag for her if she votes to acquit," according to Thompson, the outlet said.
Once the juror returned home and learned what happened, she called the police, Thompson said, according to the Minnesota-based outlet. The bag of money is now in the FBI's custody, the assistant attorney added.
Attorneys for the defendants who are being tried on 41 total criminal charges, told the judge that "they were troubled by the allegations," the Sahan Journal reported. The trial that the juror was a part of involved seven defendants accused of fraudulently using a nonprofit called Feeding Our Future to steal $41 million.
The case is a part of the larger 70-defendant case. Eighteen defendants have pleaded guilty so far, according to the Justice Department.
The juror who was offered the cash was not in court Monday morning. A spokesperson for the District of Minnesota confirmed in an email to USA TODAY on Monday that the juror was dismissed.
'I want to ensure a fair trial'
Brasel interviewed the other 17 jurors one by one in front of the defendants and asked them whether they had any unauthorized contact with anyone about the case in the last six weeks, the Star Tribune reported. The jurors told the judge they had not been contacted by anyone, the outlet said.
"I don't do it lightly," Brasel said, according to the Star Tribune. "But I want to ensure a fair trial."
Once deliberations begin, Brasel will sequester the jury, the Sahan Journal reported. When a jury is sequestered, all jurors are kept away from the public and press during a trial.
Brasel asked the U.S. Marshals Office to provide added security in court and collect, but not inspect, all the defendants' cell phones, according to the Sahan Journal. Prosecutors said they intended to file a search warrant for the defendants' phones, the outlet said.
Defendants detained due to juror bribery allegations
All seven defendants in the Feeding Our Future trial were detained by authorities as a result of the juror-tampering and bribery allegations, the Sahan Journal reported.
“The fact that there are only seven defendants and only seven people other than their attorneys that have the information to get to a juror and bribe the juror doesn’t relieve me with responsibility to protect the community,” Brasel said, according to the outlet.
The U.S. Marshals handcuffed the defendants in court Monday and led them away.
veryGood! (84)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- The Mitsubishi Starion and Chrysler conquest are super rad and rebadged
- Bernice Johnson Reagon, whose powerful voice helped propel the Civil Rights Movement, has died
- Sam Smith Shares They Were Unable to Walk After Skiing Accident
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- JD Vance makes solo debut as GOP vice presidential candidate with Monday rallies in Virginia, Ohio
- Bernice Johnson Reagon, whose powerful voice helped propel the Civil Rights Movement, has died
- Secret Service director says Trump assassination attempt was biggest agency ‘failure’ in decades
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Get the scoop on National Ice Cream Day!
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Backpack
- Defamation suit against Fox News by head of dismantled disinformation board tossed by federal judge
- The best hybrid SUVs for 2024: Ample space, admirable efficiency
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- EPA awards $4.3 billion to fund projects in 30 states to reduce climate pollution
- Heat-related Texas deaths climb after Beryl knocked out power to millions
- JoJo Siwa Clapbacks That Deserve to Be at the Top of the Pyramid
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Curiosity rover makes an accidental discovery on Mars. What the rare find could mean
2024 Olympics: You’ll Flip Over Gymnasts Simone Biles and Jordan Chiles’ BFF Moments
Truck driver charged in Ohio interstate crash that killed 3 students, 3 others
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Thom Brennaman lost job after using gay slur. Does he deserve second chance?
Biden's exit could prompt unwind of Trump-trade bets, while some eye divided government
Mark Hamill praises Joe Biden after dropping reelection bid: 'Thank you for your service'