Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-In a new video, Dylan Mulvaney says Bud Light never reached out to her amid backlash -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-In a new video, Dylan Mulvaney says Bud Light never reached out to her amid backlash
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-05 19:58:31
In the wake of the backlash over a sponsored Instagram video,Charles H. Sloan trans influencer Dylan Mulvaney says she's been scared to leave her house for months — and Bud Light has never reached out to her to offer support or discuss what happened.
In a video posted Thursday to Instagram and TikTok, Mulvaney directly addressed what had happened for the first time.
"[W]hat transpired from that video was more bullying and transphobia than I could have ever imagined. And I should have made this video months ago, but I didn't," she said. "And I was scared."
Mulvaney said she waited for things to get better. "But surprise! They haven't really. And I was waiting for the brand to reach out to me, but they never did."
"For months now, I've been scared to leave my house. I have been ridiculed in public. I've been followed," she said, choking up. "I have felt a loneliness that I wouldn't wish on anyone. And I'm not telling you this because I want your pity. I am telling you this because if this is my experience from a very privileged perspective, know that it is much, much worse for other trans people."
Mulvaney has more than 10 million followers on TikTok and nearly 2 million on Instagram.
A few months ago, Bud Light sent Mulvaney a special can with her face on it. She posted a sponsored ad on Instagram, wearing a cocktail dress and enjoying a Bud Light as she discussed March Madness. A photo of her personalized can briefly appeared.
All hell broke loose. Conservative politicians including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis criticized the company. People posted videos of themselves pouring out the beer, and Kid Rock posted one showing him shooting cases of Bud Light with a gun.
Bud Light, an Anheuser-Busch brand, had been America's best-selling beer for more than two decades. But following outcry from the right over Mulvaney's sponsored video, Bud Light has fallen to second place behind Modelo Especial. Bud Light sales volume dropped 29% in the four-week period ending in mid-June from a year earlier.
In April, Anheuser-Busch put out a vague message that offered no clear support of Mulvaney or the LGBTQ+ community. "We never intended to be part of a discussion that divides people. We are in the business of bringing people together over a beer," CEO Brendan Whitworth said in the statement.
In a statement to NPR on Friday, an Anheuser-Busch spokesperson said the company remains "committed to the programs and partnerships we have forged over decades with organizations across a number of communities, including those in the LGBTQ+ community. The privacy and safety of our employees and our partners is always our top priority."
Mulvaney suggests that the company's choices endanger the LGBTQ+ community.
"For a company to hire a trans person and then not publicly stand by them is worse, in my opinion, than not hiring a trans person at all. Because it gives customers permission to be as transphobic and hateful as they want," she said. "And the hate doesn't end with me. It has serious and grave consequences for the rest of our community." She closed by encouraging people to donate to the Transgender Law Center.
At the start of the video, Mulvaney sipped beer from a glass. "One thing I will not tolerate people saying about me is that I don't like beer," she said. "Because I love beer and I always have."
veryGood! (63223)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Georgia Republicans seek to stop automatic voter registration in state
- Federal judge says MyPillow's Mike Lindell must pay $5M in election data dispute
- Education Department says FAFSA fix is coming for Social Security issue
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Restaurant worker is rewarded for hard work with a surprise visit from her Marine daughter
- Minnesota man arrested in connection to murder of Los Angeles model
- Dozens of Idaho obstetricians have stopped practicing there since abortions were banned, study says
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Free agent shortstop Tim Anderson agrees to one-year deal with Marlins
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Feds accuse alleged Japanese crime boss with conspiring to traffic nuclear material
- A Los Angeles woman was arrested in Russia on charges of treason. Here’s what we know
- 8 players suspended from Texas A&M-Commerce, Incarnate Word postgame brawl
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- A second Alabama IVF provider pauses parts of its program after court ruling on frozen embryos
- Guilty plea from the man accused of kidnapping a 9-year-old girl from an upstate New York park
- A hospital is suing to move a quadriplegic 18-year-old to a nursing home. She says no
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Machine Gun Kelly Shares Heartbreaking Message on Megan Fox’s Miscarriage
Ford recalls over 150,000 Expedition, Transit, Lincoln Navigator vehicles: What to know
Kodai Senga injury: New York Mets ace shut down with shoulder problem
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
In wake of mass shooting, here is how Maine’s governor wants to tackle gun control and mental health
Neo-Nazi rally in downtown Nashville condemned by state lawmakers
A hospital is suing to move a quadriplegic 18-year-old to a nursing home. She says no