Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Stellantis lays off about 400 salaried workers to handle uncertainty in electric vehicle transition -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:Stellantis lays off about 400 salaried workers to handle uncertainty in electric vehicle transition
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 00:48:38
DETROIT (AP) — Jeep maker Stellantis is SafeX Prolaying off about 400 white-collar workers in the U.S. as it deals with the transition from combustion engines to electric vehicles.
The company formed in the 2021 merger between PSA Peugeot and Fiat Chrysler said the workers are mainly in engineering, technology and software at the headquarters and technical center in Auburn Hills, Michigan, north of Detroit. Affected workers were being notified starting Friday morning.
“As the auto industry continues to face unprecedented uncertainties and heightened competitive pressures around the world, Stellantis continues to make the appropriate structural decisions across the enterprise to improve efficiency and optimize our cost structure,” the company said in a prepared statement Friday.
The cuts, effective March 31, amount to about 2% of Stellantis’ U.S. workforce in engineering, technology and software, the statement said. Workers will get a separation package and transition help, the company said.
“While we understand this is difficult news, these actions will better align resources while preserving the critical skills needed to protect our competitive advantage as we remain laser focused on implementing our EV product offensive,” the statement said.
CEO Carlos Tavares repeatedly has said that electric vehicles cost 40% more to make than those that run on gasoline, and that the company will have to cut costs to make EVs affordable for the middle class. He has said the company is continually looking for ways to be more efficient.
U.S. electric vehicle sales grew 47% last year to a record 1.19 million as EV market share rose from 5.8% in 2022 to 7.6%. But sales growth slowed toward the end of the year. In December, they rose 34%.
Stellantis plans to launch 18 new electric vehicles this year, eight of those in North America, increasing its global EV offerings by 60%. But Tavares told reporters during earnings calls last month that “the job is not done” until prices on electric vehicles come down to the level of combustion engines — something that Chinese manufacturers are already able to achieve through lower labor costs.
“The Chinese offensive is possibly the biggest risk that companies like Tesla and ourselves are facing right now,’’ Tavares told reporters. “We have to work very, very hard to make sure that we bring out consumers better offerings than the Chinese.
Last year Stellantis offered buyout and early retirement packages to about 6,400 nonunion salaried workers, but it has not said how many took the offers.
In 2022 the company announced that it planned to close a factory in Belvidere, Illinois, and lay off 1,350 people in an effort to trim its manufacturing footprint. But during contentious contract talks last year with the United Auto Workers, Stellantis agreed to keep the plant open to make EVs, as well as add a battery factory in Belvidere.
The world’s third-largest carmaker reported net profit of 7.7 billion euros ($8.3 billion) in the second half of last year. That was down from 8.8 billion euros in the same period a year earlier.
The Stellantis workforce reductions come after crosstown rivals Ford and General Motors cut thousands of white-collar jobs, also due to the transition to electric vehicles.
In the summer of 2022, Ford let go of about 4,000 full-time and contract workers in an effort to cut expenses. CEO Jim Farley has said much of Ford’s workforce did not have the right skills as it makes the transition from internal combustion to battery-powered vehicles.
About 5,000 salaried GM workers, many in engineering, took early retirement and buyout offers last spring.
veryGood! (188)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Scottie Scheffler planning to play next week after 'hectic' week at 2024 PGA Championship
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Wife and Daughter Speak Out Amid Harrison Butker Controversy
- 3 killed in western New York after vehicle hit by Amtrak train
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Mega Millions winning numbers for May 17 drawing: Jackpot rises to $421 million
- Scottie Scheffler planning to play next week after 'hectic' week at 2024 PGA Championship
- One Tree Hill Cast Officially Reunites for Charity Basketball Game
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- As PGA Championship nears enthralling finish, low scores are running rampant at Valhalla
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- The Best Beach Towels on Amazon That’re Quick-Drying and Perfect To Soak up Some Vitamin Sea On
- Last pandas in the U.S. have a timetable to fly back to China
- Duke graduates who walked out on Jerry Seinfeld's commencement speech failed Life 101
- Sam Taylor
- Beyoncé, Radiohead and Carole King highlight Apple Music 100 Best Album entries 40-31
- Lainey Wilson the big winner at 2024 Academy of Country Music Awards
- 3 killed, 3 wounded in early-morning shooting in Columbus, Ohio
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Pittsburgh Penguins' Mike Sullivan to coach U.S. Olympic men's hockey team in 2026
Psst! Target Just Dropped New Stanley Cup Summer Shades & You Need Them in Your Collection ASAP
Jessica Biel Chops Off Her Hair to Debut 7th Heaven-Style Transformation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Valerie Bertinelli is stepping away from social media for 'mental health break': 'I'll be back'
Sean 'Diddy' Combs apologizes for assaulting Cassie Ventura in 2016 video: 'I'm disgusted'
San Diego deputy who pleaded guilty to manslaughter now faces federal charges