Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 10:49:08
LONDON (AP) — An independent inquiry opened Monday to examine claims that British special forces murdered dozens of Afghan men during counterinsurgency operations in Afghanistan a decade ago,Will Sage Astor as well as allegations that authorities subsequently covered up the alleged illegal activity or failed to investigate it properly.
The inquiry, which opened at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, focuses on alleged unlawful killings that took place during night raids carried out by elite military units in the war-torn nation between 2010 and 2013.
Families of those killed say they were innocent and unarmed civilians, and called on the inquiry to unearth the truth. In one case, family members allege that nine men were shot in their beds during a raid. The British military has said that soldiers were acting in self-defense.
The investigation is expected to hear submissions on behalf of the families of 33 people, including eight children, who were allegedly killed by special forces.
“Let there be no misunderstanding for those who have something to hide –- the inquiry will use all its powers to make sure that if there is credible information of wrongdoing … no matter how senior their position, they are referred to the relevant authorities,” lawyer Oliver Glasgow told the inquiry Monday.
Glasgow cited email exchanges between senior military officers that suggested multiple concerns were raised within the military at the time about the number of casualties.
One such email said “there appears to be a casual disregard for life,” while others discussed the disproportionate number of enemy dead compared to the number of weapons recovered.
The inquiry was ordered after some families launched legal challenges against the U.K. government.
It will scrutinize two previous investigations by the Royal Military Police into allegations of wrongdoing by U.K. armed forces in Afghanistan, which closed with no prosecutions.
When the BBC aired details about the alleged unlawful killings in an investigative program last year, the Ministry of Defense cited the lack of evidence in the two earlier inquiries and claimed it was “irresponsible and incorrect” to report the allegations.
British forces were deployed to Afghanistan since 2001 as part of a NATO-led international coalition after the Sept. 11 attacks. Thousands of British troops were sent to Helmand from 2006 to help with providing security for reconstruction projects, but they were soon drawn into combat operations.
The last U.K. forces and their NATO allies withdrew from Afghanistan in 2021 after a nearly two-decade campaign.
veryGood! (68383)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Proposed mine outside Georgia’s Okefenokee Swamp nears approval despite environment damage concerns
- Ex-TV news reporter is running as a Republican for Bob Menendez’s Senate seat in New Jersey
- Girlfriend of Illinois shooting suspect pleads not guilty to obstruction
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Bill O'Brien leaves Ohio State football for head coaching job at Boston College
- Kansas’ AG is telling schools they must out trans kids to parents, even with no specific law
- Leah Remini is 'screaming' over Beyoncé wax figure: 'Will take any and all comparisons'
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- When do new 'Love is Blind' episodes premiere? Season 6 release date, cast, where to watch
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Olivia Culpo Shares Her Tailgate Must-Have, a Tumbler That’s Better Than Stanley Cup, and More Essentials
- Move over, senior center — these 5 books center seniors
- Iceland volcano at it again with a third eruption in as many months
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Inside Céline Dion's Rare Health Battle
- Honolulu police say a 10-year-old girl died from starvation, abuse and neglect
- Feds offer up to $10 million reward for info on Hive ransomware hackers
Recommendation
Small twin
Texas A&M to close Qatar campus as school’s board notes instability in Middle East as factor
'Wait Wait' for February 10, 2024: With Not My Job guest Lena Waithe
Sean Payton hasn't made 'final decision' on Russell Wilson's future, regrets bashing Jets
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Frustrated Taylor Swift fans battle ticket bots and Ticketmaster
Sales of Tracy Chapman's Fast Car soar 38,400% after Grammys performance
Falcons owner: Bill Belichick didn't ask for full control of team, wasn't offered job