Current:Home > News6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating -Capitatum
6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 09:48:45
A 6-year-old Virginia student took a gun to school Monday and investigators are trying to figure out how the child got ahold of the weapon, according to authorities.
The incident happened at Orange Elementary School, about 29 miles northeast of Charlottesville, the Orange County Sheriff's Office shared on Facebook Monday afternoon.
A school staff member contacted an Orange County Sheriff’s Office School Resource Officer at 12:50 p.m. that day about a loaded firearm found inside the school. The school was then placed in safe school mode, the sheriff’s office shared online.
The sheriff’s office said the firearm was found inside a backpack, so the school resource officer and a school administrator took the backpack.
Investigators announced later that afternoon that the 6-year-old student brought the firearm to school, where an instructional assistant found the gun.
No one was hurt, and no threats were made, the sheriff’s office said.
The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating but said no arrests have been made so far.
“The safety and security of our students and school staff remain our top priority,” the sheriff’s office said. “Out of an abundance of caution we will have additional law enforcement at the school for the remainder of today and tomorrow.”
School shooting investigation:911 calls from Georgia school shooting released
Superintendent says situation was handled in a ‘swift, professional’ manner
Superintendent of Orange County Public Schools Dan Hornick released a statement to community members online, calling the ordeal “distressing.”
“It is important to recognize and appreciate the swift, professional, and thorough steps taken by the staff members and administrators at Orange Elementary School,” Hornick wrote in his statement. “Their diligence prevented the situation from escalating.”
He also thanked the sheriff’s office for working with the school.
Later in his statement, Hornick said he wanted to note how the school system could grow in situations like this. According to the superintendent, the school went into Safe School Mode, where classrooms are secured, and law enforcement and school administrators investigate.
The goal during Safe School Mode and other school status changes is to let parents and guardians know what’s going on as soon as possible, Hornick said.
“Unfortunately, this type of notification was not sent to the OES community today,” he said, adding that he wanted to apologize for the “error.”
Similar situations have arisen throughout the country this past year, including a Sept. 4 shooting in Georgia where a student killed four at Apalachee High School.
Hornick, the superintendent of Orange County Public Schools, asked that “in light of recent events across our country … all parents and guardians exercise even greater diligence in ensuring that students do not bring weapons or other dangerous items to school.”
He added that he has two children attending schools in Orange County and said he plans to check his own children’s bags more frequently and talk to them more about school safety.
“By working together, we can provide the safe and dynamic learning environment our students deserve,” he said. “Thank you for your continued support, even under difficult circumstances.”
Contributing: Jeanine Santucci
Saleen Martin is a reporter on USA TODAY's NOW team. She is from Norfolk, Virginia – the 757. Follow her on Twitter at@SaleenMartin or email her at[email protected].
veryGood! (22774)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- 2 Ohio officers charged with reckless homicide in April death of Frank Tyson
- A former Six Flags park is finally being demolished after Hurricane Katrina’s devastation
- Ohio sheriff’s lieutenant apologizes for ‘won’t help Democrats’ post, blames sleep medication
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Wisconsin Senate race pits Trump-backed millionaire against Democratic incumbent
- Adele fangirls over Meryl Streep at Vegas residency, pays homage to 'Death Becomes Her'
- Federal agencies say Russia and Iran are ramping up influence campaigns targeting US voters
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office reviews officer altercations with fans at Georgia-Florida game
Ranking
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- JonBenét Ramsey Docuseries Investigates Mishandling of Case 28 Years After Her Death
- Mexico’s National Guard kills 2 Colombians and wounds 4 on a migrant smuggling route near the US
- Outer Banks Ending After Season 5
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Saints fire coach Dennis Allen after seventh straight loss. Darren Rizzi named interim coach
- Here's why it's so important to catch and treat glaucoma early
- MVP repeat? Ravens QB Lamar Jackson separating from NFL field yet again
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Johnny Depp’s Lawyer Camille Vasquez Reveals Why She “Would Never” Date Him Despite Romance Rumors
Taylor Swift plays goodbye mashups during last US Eras Tour concert
Pottery Barn 1-Day Sale: Snag $1.99 Wine Glasses, $7.99 Towels, $2.99 Ornaments, and More Deals
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
A former Six Flags park is finally being demolished after Hurricane Katrina’s devastation
North Carolina attorney general’s race features 2 members of Congress
Ex-Saints WR Michael Thomas rips Derek Carr: 'He need his (expletive) whooped'