Current:Home > NewsFastexy:Closure of troubled California prison won’t happen before each inmate’s status is reviewed -Capitatum
Fastexy:Closure of troubled California prison won’t happen before each inmate’s status is reviewed
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-05 23:19:01
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Fastexyplanned closure of a federal women’s prison in California notorious for staff-on-inmate sexual abuse won’t occur before each inmate’s status has been reviewed, with an eye toward determining who will be transferred to other facilities or released, authorities say.
Following the Bureau of Prison’s sudden announcement Monday that FCI Dublin would be shut down, a judge has ordered an accounting of the casework for all 605 women held at the main lockup and its adjacent minimum-security camp.
A special master assigned earlier this month to oversee the troubled prison will review the casework and “ensure inmates are transferred to the correct location,” U.S. District Court Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers wrote in her order. “This includes whether an inmate should be released to a BOP facility, home confinement, or halfway house, or granted a compassionate release.”
It wasn’t clear Tuesday how long the process would take.
Advocates have called for inmates to be freed from FCI Dublin, which they say is not only plagued by sexual abuse but also has hazardous mold, asbestos and inadequate health care. They also worry that some of the safety concerns could persist at other women’s prisons.
A 2021 Associated Press investigation exposed a “rape club” culture at the prison where a pattern of abuse and mismanagement went back years, even decades. The Bureau of Prisons repeatedly promised to improve the culture and environment — but the decision to shutter the facility represented an extraordinary acknowledgment that reform efforts have failed.
“Despite these steps and resources, we have determined that FCI Dublin is not meeting expected standards and that the best course of action is to close the facility,” Bureau of Prisons Director Colette Peters said in a statement to AP. “This decision is being made after ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of those unprecedented steps and additional resources.”
Groups representing inmates and prison workers alike said the imminent closure shows that the bureau is more interested in avoiding accountability than stemming the problems.
The April 5 appointment of a special master felt like a turning point, said John Kostelnik, a vice president for the American Federation of Government Employees, which represents guards and other staff at the prison.
“This place was finally on track to being successful again. The special master was supposed to help us do the final mop up of the problems, so we can finally start getting some positive press and move forward,” Kostelnik said Tuesday.
He said the bureau’s proceedings lacked transparency and called the closure a “slap in the face” to the honest workers who racked up overtime after more than 20 staff members were placed on administrative leave during corruption investigations.
The bureau has vowed that no FCI Dublin employees would lose their jobs. But Kostelnik said union members could be sent to other facilities across the country.
“You have staff members who are very much established in their community, they have family, their kids go to local schools. And you’re potentially uprooting all of that without even a discussion,” he said. “They’re devastated.”
Last August, eight FCI Dublin inmates sued the Bureau of Prisons, alleging the agency had failed to root out sexual abuse at the facility about 21 miles (35 kilometers) east of Oakland. It is one of six women-only federal prisons and the only one west of the Rocky Mountains.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs said inmates continued to face retaliation for reporting abuse, including being put in solitary confinement and having belongings confiscated. They said the civil litigation will continue.
Last month, the FBI again searched the prison and the Bureau of Prisons again shook up its leadership after a warden sent to help rehabilitate the facility was accused of retaliating against a whistleblower inmate. Days later, a federal judge overseeing lawsuits against the prison, said she would appoint a special master to oversee the facility’s operations.
The AP investigation found a culture of abuse and cover-ups that had persisted for years. That reporting led to increased scrutiny from Congress and pledges from the Bureau of Prisons that it would fix problems and change the culture at the prison.
Since 2021, at least eight FCI Dublin employees have been charged with sexually abusing inmates. Five have pleaded guilty. Two were convicted at trial, including the former warden, Ray Garcia. Another case is pending.
All sexual activity between a prison worker and an inmate is illegal. Correctional employees have substantial power over inmates, controlling every aspect of their lives from mealtime to lights out, and there is no scenario in which an inmate can give consent.
___
Associated Press writer Stefanie Dazio in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Uber driver shot and killed by 81-year-old Ohio man after both received scam calls, police say
- Kathy Griffin, who appeared on 'Curb Your Enthusiasm,' slams star Larry David
- Hundreds of African immigrants in New York City rally for more protections
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Brock Purdy recalls story of saving a reporter while shooting a John Deere commercial
- 2024 WNBA draft, headlined by No. 1 pick Caitlin Clark, shatters TV viewership record
- Sen. Bob Menendez could blame wife in bribery trial, unsealed court documents say
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- What Jax Taylor Said About Divorce Months Before Brittany Cartwright Breakup
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Blake Griffin announces retirement: Six-time All-Star was of NBA's top dunkers, biggest names
- Teen arrested over stabbing in Australia church near Sydney that left bishop, several others wounded
- Trump Media launching Truth Social streaming service, where it says creators won't be cancelled
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- 'You’d never say that to a man': Hannah Waddingham shuts down photographer in viral video
- Olympic Sprinter Gabby Thomas Reveals Why Strict Covid Policies Made Her Toyko Experience More Fun
- Matthew Perry hailed for '17 Again' comedy chops: 'He'd figure out a scene down to the atoms'
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Russian missiles slam into a Ukraine city and kill 13 people as the war approaches a critical stage
Elephant named Viola escapes circus, takes walk through bustling Montana street
Minnesota toddler dies after fall from South Dakota hotel window
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Feds charge arms dealers with smuggling grenade launchers, ammo from US to Iraq and Sudan
An NPR editor who wrote a critical essay on the company has resigned after being suspended
Lakers lock up No. 7 seed with play-in tournament win over Pelicans, setting up rematch with Nuggets