Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-A former UK nurse will be retried on a charge that she tried to murder a baby girl at a hospital -Capitatum
PredictIQ-A former UK nurse will be retried on a charge that she tried to murder a baby girl at a hospital
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 10:01:18
LONDON (AP) — A former neonatal nurse who was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of seven babies in her care and PredictIQtrying to kill six others at a U.K. hospital will face a retrial on a charge of attempting to murder a newborn baby girl, prosecutors said Monday.
Lucy Letby, 33, was sentenced last month to life behind bars with no chance of release after a jury convicted her of murdering seven babies in the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital in northwest England between 2015 and 2016. She was also convicted of trying to murder six other infants.
However, the jury of seven women and four men in her 10-month trial was not able to reach verdicts on six counts of attempted murder in relation to five other newborns. Letby had faced two counts of attempted murder against one of the newborns.
The Crown Prosecution Service said Monday it wanted to pursue a retrial on one of those outstanding charges, which involved a baby girl known only as Child K in February 2016.
Letby attended Monday’s hearing by video from prison, and spoke only to confirm her name.
A provisional trial date was set for June 10, 2024.
Letby was handed the most severe punishment possible under British law, which does not allow the death penalty. A judge said she acted with “malevolence bordering sadism.” Only three other women have received such a harsh sentence in the U.K.
The former nurse was accused of deliberately harming the babies in various ways, including by injecting air into their bloodstreams and administering air or milk into their stomachs via nasogastric tubes. She was also accused of poisoning infants by adding insulin to intravenous feeds and interfering with breathing tubes.
The victims were given anonymity and listed only by letters.
Britain’s government launched an independent inquiry soon after the verdicts that will look into the wider circumstances around what happened at the hospital, including the handling of complaints raised by staff who had tried to sound the alarm on Letby.
Prosecutors confirmed they wished to pursue the single count involving Child K but not the other five counts of attempted murder. “These decisions on whether to seek retrials on the remaining counts of attempted murder were extremely complex and difficult,” Jonathan Storer, a senior prosecutor in northern England, said in a statement.
Lawyers representing the other families described the decision not to seek further retrials as disappointing.
“We believe that the families of the further alleged victims still have questions that are unanswered and they deserve to know what happened to their children,” said lawyer Tamlin Bolton from the law firm Switalskis.
veryGood! (71)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- In an aging nation, these states are home to the oldest residents on average
- Wisconsin babysitter charged with killing family’s chihuahua is facing up to 4 years in prison
- Tyler Christopher, late 'General Hospital' star, died of alcohol-induced asphyxia
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Russian skater Kamila Valieva banned four years over doping, ending 2022 Olympic drama
- Officials say 1 policeman, 6 insurgents killed as rebels launch rocket attacks in southwest Pakistan
- Sophie Turner shows off playful photos with rumored beau Peregrine Pearson on social media
- Trump's 'stop
- In gridlocked Congress, unlikely issue of cellphones in schools forges bipartisan bonds
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Colombia and the National Liberation Army rebels extend ceasefire for a week as talks continue
- Baylor to retire Brittney Griner’s jersey during Feb. 18 game vs. Texas Tech
- The RNC will meet privately after Trump allies pull resolution to call him the ‘presumptive nominee’
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Taylor Swift attends Kansas City Chiefs, Baltimore Ravens AFC championship game
- France’s government prepares new measures to calm farmers’ protests, with barricades squeezing Paris
- ‘Expats,’ starring Nicole Kidman, was filmed in Hong Kong, but you can’t watch it there
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Are we overpaying for military equipment?
Israel military operation destroys a Gaza cemetery. Israel says Hamas used the site to hide a tunnel
Police investigating headlock assault on hijab-wearing girl at suburban Chicago middle school
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Elton John and Bernie Taupin to receive the 2024 Gershwin Prize for pop music
The mothers of two teenage boys killed as they left a Chicago high school struggle with loss
Ex-IRS contractor gets five years in prison for leak of tax return information of Trump, rich people