Current:Home > MarketsSword-wielding man charged with murder in London after child killed, several others wounded -Capitatum
Sword-wielding man charged with murder in London after child killed, several others wounded
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 02:15:10
A 36-year-old man was charged with murder Wednesday in London after allegedly attacking members of the public and two police officers with a sword, London's Metropolitan Police said. A teenage boy died as a result of the attack, a senior London police officer said.
"It is with great sadness that I confirm that one of those injured in the incident, a 14-year-old boy, has died from their injuries. Taken to hospital after being stabbed and sadly died a short while after," the Met Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell told journalists.
The Crown Prosecution Service charged Marcus Arduini Monzo with one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder and other charges. Monzo will appear in Barkingside Magistrates' Court on Thursday.
"Our thoughts remain firmly with the family of Daniel and all those who have been impacted by this horrific incident," Jaswant Narwal, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Crown Prosecution Service London North said Wednesday in a statement, adding that the case is still under investigation.
In a statement sent earlier to CBS News, the London police force said officers and other emergency services had responded to "a serious incident in which a man with a sword has been arrested" in the Hainault area of east London.
"We understand the suspect went on to attack other members of the public and two police officers. We are awaiting an update on the condition of those injured," the statement said. The later statement from the crown prosecution did not provide an update on the injuries.
Social media video verified by CBS News' partner network BBC News shows the suspect dressed in a yellow sweater, walking and appearing to hide behind bushes in a front yard while carrying a long bladed weapon.
Senior U.K. police official Ade Adelekan said the incident was not believed to be related to terrorism.
"We do not believe there is any ongoing threat to the wider community. We are not looking for more suspects," Adelekan said.
London's Ambulance Service confirmed in a social media post that five people had been treated at the scene and subsequently taken to a hospital.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he was in constant contact with the police and that he was "absolutely devastated" by the attack.
"The police officers and emergency services showed the best of our city — running towards danger to protect others and I thank them from the bottom of our heart," he said in message shared on social media.
Transport for London, which runs the city's heavily used Underground train system, said the station for Hainault was closed due to a police investigation.
- In:
- Stabbing
- London
veryGood! (77)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- A stolen digital memory card with gruesome recordings leads to a double murder trial in Alaska
- A NSFW Performance and More of the Most Shocking Grammy Awards Moments of All Time
- Country star Brandy Clark on finding her musical soulmate and her 6 Grammy nominations
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Denver shooting injures at least 6 people, police say
- Grammys 2024: Victoria Monét, Dua Lipa and More Turn the Red Carpet Into a Family Affair
- Lionel Messi, David Beckham, Inter Miami hear boos after Messi sits out Hong Kong friendly
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Biden sets sights on Las Vegas days before Nevada’s primary. He’s also got November on his mind.
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- 'Below Deck' returns for all-new Season 11: Cast, premiere date, how to watch and stream
- Dog rescued by Coast Guard survived in shipping container for 8 days with no food, water
- Auburn star apologizes to Morgan Freeman after thinking actor was Ole Miss fan trying to rattle him
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Jillian Michaels Details the No. 1 Diet Mistake People Make—Other Than Ozempic
- Union reaches deal with 4 hotel-casinos, 3 others still poised to strike at start of Super Bowl week
- Inside Clive Davis' celeb-packed pre-Grammy gala: Green Day, Tom Hanks, Mariah Carey, more
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
How Jon Bon Jovi Really Feels About Son Jake Bongiovi and Fiancé Millie Bobby Brown's Relationship
Hamlin wins exhibition Clash at the Coliseum as NASCAR moves race up a day to avoid California storm
Grammys 2024: Nothing in This World Compares to Paris Hilton’s Sweet Update on Motherhood
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Aston Barrett, bassist for Bob Marley & The Wailers, dies at 77
Funeral held for 7 of the 8 victims in Joliet-area shootings
New Grammy category for African music ignores almost all of Africa