Current:Home > reviewsThe Philippines and China report a new maritime confrontation near a contested South China Sea shoal -Capitatum
The Philippines and China report a new maritime confrontation near a contested South China Sea shoal
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:56:51
MANILA (AP) — Chinese and Philippine vessels engaged in a new confrontation in the South China Sea on Friday, with Manila charging that a Chinese coast guard ship and accompanying vessels conducted dangerous maneuvers and blasted a Philippine supply ship with a water cannon in disputed waters.
China responded that it acted appropriately under maritime law to defend what it says is its territory.
The incident was the latest in a series of maritime confrontations between the two nations over territorial disputes that risk turning into more serious armed engagements.
Tensions have risen recently as China has blockaded an isolated Philippine marine outpost on Second Thomas Shoal, also known as Ayungin Shoal.
Last month, a Chinese coast guard ship and an accompanying vessel rammed a Philippine coast guard ship and a military-run supply boat near the contested shoal, according to Philippine officials. China accused the Philippine vessels of trespassing in what it said were Chinese waters “without authorization” despite repeated radio warnings.
A Philippine government task force dealing with the South China Sea said Friday that vessels belonging to China’s coast guard and its paramilitary Maritime Militia “recklessly harassed, blocked and executed dangerous maneuvers in another attempt to illegally impede or obstruct a routine resupply and rotation mission.”
It said a Chinese coast guard ship used a water cannon to blast the Philippine supply vessel M/L Kalayaan, which was en route to deliver supplies to the outpost.
The resupply mission was carried out successfully despite the harassment, it said in a statement.
“We firmly insist that Chinese vessels responsible for these illegal activities leave the vicinity of Ayungin Shoal immediately,” it said, adding that the Philippine Embassy in Beijing delivered a protest to the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
The Chinese coast guard said two small cargo vessels and three Philippine coast guard ships “arbitrarily trespassed into the waters near China’s Ren’ai Reef.” China uses its own names for many locations in the South China Sea.
China’s coast guard “followed the Philippines ships in accordance with the law, taking necessary control measures, and made temporary special arrangements for the Philippines side to transport food and other daily necessities,” coast guard spokesperson Gan Yu said in a statement.
It urged the Philippines to stop actions that infringe upon China’s rights and said China would continue to uphold its national sovereignty.
Territorial conflicts in the South China Sea involving China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei have long been regarded as a potential flashpoint and a delicate fault line in the U.S.-China rivalry.
After last month’s incident in which Chinese ships blocked and collided with two Philippine vessels off the contested shoal, the United States renewed a warning that it would defend the Philippines in case of an armed attack under a 1951 treaty.
veryGood! (447)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 90 Day Fiancé Sneak Peek: Jen Says She's Disgusted After Rishi Sends Shirtless Pic to a Catfish
- Lala Kent Shares Details on Explosive Vanderpump Rules Reunion Taping
- Selena Gomez Proves She Loves BFF Taylor Swift Like a Love Song at iHeartRadio Awards
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Lounge Underwear 60% Off Sale: If You Have Big Boobs, These Are the 32 Size-Inclusive Styles You Need
- Rwanda genocide fugitive Fulgence Kayishema, accused of killing 2,000 in church massacre, arrested
- Madeleine McCann search near Portugal reservoir leads to objects secured, but unclear if they're clues
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Rwanda genocide fugitive Fulgence Kayishema, accused of killing 2,000 in church massacre, arrested
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Shop 17 Joanna Buchanan Home Goods That Are Whimsical, Wonderful & Totally You
- Ukraine says Russia blew up major dam from inside, endangering thousands of people and a nuclear plant
- North Korea condemns gangster-like reactions of U.S. to spy satellite launch
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Kerry Washington Unveils Memoir Cover and Shares How She Got in Touch With Her True Self
- Would Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright Return to Vanderpump Rules? They Say…
- 20 Strange and Unusual Secrets About Beetlejuice Revealed
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Bear blamed for Italy runner's death in Alps gets reprieve from being euthanized for now
Behati Prinsloo Shares Photo of How Baby No. 3 Will Be Loved By Her and Adam Levine’s Daughters
Prince Harry Slams Royal Institution for Allegedly Withholding Information From Him on Phone Hacking
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
How Kieran Culkin Felt About Macaulay Culkin's Home Alone Fame
H&M Teams Up With Tess Holliday to Expand Size-Inclusive Clothing
Dancing With the Stars’ Carrie Ann Inaba Shares She Had Emergency Appendectomy