Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Minnesota teacher of 'vulnerable students' accused of having sex with student -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Minnesota teacher of 'vulnerable students' accused of having sex with student
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:04:07
A Minnesota high school teacher of students with developmental and Will Sage Astorcognitive disabilities was arrested on criminal sexual misconduct charges for allegedly having sex with a former student, several outlets reported.
Ann Margaret Bacon, 24, of Hastings, was charged on Monday in Ramsey County District Court with one count of felony third-degree criminal sexual conduct, according to a criminal complaint reviewed by USA TODAY.
According to the criminal complaint Bacon is accused of starting a sexual relationship with an 18-year-old student about a month before he graduated last year. Bacon is also accused of buying alcohol for minors and “smoking weed” with minors.
A school resource officer and the Tartan High School administration received a report from a witness on Feb. 6, that Bacon had sex with the former student.
Bacon resigned from her role on Thursday. Both the school resource officer and school officials informed police about the reports and Bacon was questioned and arrested.
Inappropriate relationship first reported in July 2023
The witness said she and a friend initially reported the relationship between Bacon and the student in July 2023 but were not able to produce any evidence at the time, according to the criminal complaint. When school officials questioned Bacon about the reports at that time, she denied having “inappropriate interactions with students,” and no further action was taken.
The witness reported Bacon again this month because she was concerned about Bacon continuing to teach, and, "as a special education teacher, had access to vulnerable students," the complaint said.
According to the complaint, Bacon had sex with the student on five different occasions at a motel in Vadnais Heights between May 8 and July 4 and at her apartment in St. Paul in July 2023.
A second witness told law enforcement that she was in a relationship with the victim that ended in January 2024 after she learned that he still had contact with Bacon. The ex-girlfriend said she found sexually explicit messages and nude photos of Bacon on the victim’s phone. Some of the images, including videos of Bacon drinking with the student and his friends were from May 2023.
The ex-girlfriend also told police that Bacon bought her and other friends alcohol. According to the complaint, she said her cousin, who was 17 years-old at the time electronically sent $40 to Bacon as pay for part of the alcohol Bacon bought for them.
Bacon denied purchasing alcohol for minors. However, "she acknowledged getting a $40 Venmo payment for “liqq” on June 21, 2023, but claimed she didn’t remember who it was from or what it was for," the complaint said.
Teacher and student give varying accounts
Police interviewed Bacon and the victim. Bacon initially denied the relationship but eventually admitted to having sex with the former student, and that it began when he was in her class, according to the criminal complaint.
Bacon said they stopped having sex in July 2023, and that they now are just friends. The victim told police the two first had sex in July 2023 and denied having a sexual relationship with Bacon before his graduation. He told police he and Bacon were exclusively dating, and that he stays at her apartment, the complaint said.
In response to USA TODAY's request for comment, Independent School District 622 shared a message sent by Tartan High School principal, Bethany DeCent, to families.
"Please be assured that the trust and safety of our students remain our utmost priority. We are cooperating fully with law enforcement’s investigation and will continue to do so throughout the process. We understand that this news affects our school community. School counselors and administrators are available for any students needing support," DeCent wrote in the message.
veryGood! (61563)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Will Ivanka Trump have to testify at her father’s civil fraud trial? Judge to hear arguments Friday
- Javelinas tore up an Arizona golf course. Now some are arguing about its water use
- Week 9 college football expert picks: Top 25 game predictions led by Oregon-Utah
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Jason Momoa reunites with high school girlfriend 25 years later: See their romance in pics
- With map redrawn favoring GOP, North Carolina Democratic US Rep. Jackson to run for attorney general
- AP Week in Pictures: Asia
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- A baseless claim about Putin’s health came from an unreliable Telegram account
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- NFL should have an open mind on expanding instant replay – but it won't
- Pedro Argote, suspect in killing of Maryland judge, found dead
- 'Diaries of War' traces two personal accounts — one from Ukraine, one from Russia
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Brittney Griner, 5-time Olympian Diana Taurasi head up US national women’s roster for November
- Former President George W. Bush to throw out ceremonial first pitch before World Series opener
- Former Ohio State OL Dawand Jones suspected Michigan had Buckeyes' signs during 2022 game
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Pedro Argote, wanted in killing of Maryland judge, found dead
A blast killed 2 people and injured 9 in a Shiite neighborhood in the Afghan capital Kabul
What to know about Maine's gun laws after Lewiston mass shooting
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Experts reconstruct face of teenage Inca girl sacrificed over 500 years ago in Peru
Spain considers using military barracks to house migrants amid uptick in arrivals by boat
Abortion rights supporters far outraise opponents and rake in out-of-state money in Ohio election