Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-Prosecutors to seek Hunter Biden indictment from grand jury before Sept. 29, special counsel David Weiss says -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Prosecutors to seek Hunter Biden indictment from grand jury before Sept. 29, special counsel David Weiss says
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 11:24:04
Washington — Prosecutors say they will ask a grand jury to return an indictment against Hunter Biden before Sept. 29,Oliver James Montgomery special counsel David Weiss informed a federal judge in Delaware on Wednesday.
The news comes after a tentative plea deal between the government and Hunter Biden's attorneys over taxes and diversion agreement on a firearms charge fell apart this summer. The president's son had originally been charged by two separate criminal informations with misdemeanor tax offenses and a felony firearm offense. But in open court, a federal judge questioned provisions of the tentative deal that would have allowed the president's son to avoid prison time. After that, Hunter Biden pleaded not guilty to the three charges.
Weiss, who was elevated to special counsel last month, cited the Speedy Trial Act as the impetus for the short timeline. His filing was made in response to a federal judge's questions about the status of the firearms case and the diversion agreement after the deal with Hunter Biden's legal team fell through in July.
"The Speedy Trial Act requires that the government obtain the return of an indictment by a grand jury by Friday, September 29, 2023, at the earliest," Weiss wrote. "The government intends to seek the return of an indictment in this case before that date."
- IRS whistleblower in Hunter Biden probe says he was stopped from pursuing investigative leads into "dad" or the "big guy"
In a court filing of their own on Wednesday, Hunter Biden's lawyers said their client has continued to abide by the parameters of the firearm diversion agreement, which called for him to remain drug-free without committing additional crimes in order to see the gun charge dismissed.
"We believe the signed and filed diversion agreement remains valid and prevents any additional charges from being filed against Mr. Biden, who has been abiding by the conditions of release under that agreement for the last several weeks, including regular visits by the probation office," said Hunter Biden's attorney Abbe Lowell. "We expect a fair resolution of the sprawling, 5-year investigation into Mr. Biden that was based on the evidence and the law, not outside political pressure, and we'll do what is necessary on behalf of Mr. Biden to achieve that."
The White House referred to Hunter Biden's personal attorneys for comment.
- In:
- Hunter Biden
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Florida man admits to shooting at Walmart delivery drone, damaging payload
- Can you get the flu in the summer? Your guide to warm weather illnesses
- Nelly Korda withdraws from London tournament after being bitten by a dog
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- West Virginia governor pushing for another income tax cut as time in office winds down
- 2024 French election begins, with far-right parties expected to make major gains in parliament
- Maryland hikes vehicle registration fees and tobacco taxes
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Richardson, McLaughlin and Lyles set to lead the Americans to a big medal haul at Olympic track
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- 'Now or never': Bruce Bochy's Texas Rangers in danger zone for World Series defense
- Pregnant Hailey Bieber Reveals Her Simple Hack for Staying Cool in the Summer
- Maine man who confessed to killing parents, 2 others will enter pleas to settle case, lawyer says
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Appeals court allows part of Biden student loan repayment plan to go forward
- Meet the Americans competing at the 2024 Tour de France
- Over 100 stranded Dolphins in Cape Cod are now free, rescue teams say − for now
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Family of 13-year-old killed in shooting by police in Utica, New York, demands accountability
Visiting a lake this summer? What to know about dangers lurking at popular US lakes
Sophia Bush, Cynthia Erivo and More Show Amber Ruffin Love After She Comes Out During Pride Month
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
TV personality Carlos Watson testifies in his trial over collapse of startup Ozy Media
The Bears are letting Simone Biles' husband skip some training camp to go to Olympics
Fifty Shades of Grey's Jamie Dornan Reveals Texts With Costar Dakota Johnson