Current:Home > ContactPolice to address special commission investigating response to Maine mass shooting -Capitatum
Police to address special commission investigating response to Maine mass shooting
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 12:35:04
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — A special commission organized to investigate the response to the Lewiston, Maine, mass shooting last year is set to hear testimony from more police.
Maine Gov. Janet Mills and state Attorney General Aaron Frey assembled the commission to review the events that led up to the shootings that killed 18 people at a bowling alley and a restaurant in Lewiston on Oct. 25. The commission has heard from officers with the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office and will hear from members of the Lewiston and Lisbon police departments on Thursday.
While previous hearings have focused on encounters police had with shooter and former Army reservist Robert Card previous to the killings, Thursday’s testimony could center more on the immediate aftermath of the shootings. The Lewiston and Lisbon departments were both involved in the emergency response and subsequent manhunt that followed the shootings.
Card was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot after the two-day search, police said. Lawyers for victims have pointed to potential missed opportunities to prevent the shootings in the preceding weeks, as they had received warnings about Card’s deteriorating mental health and potential for violence.
The session with Lewiston and Lisbon police was a late addition to the panel’s schedule, officials with the independent commission said. A session with Maine State Police scheduled for next week is still on the calendar, said Kevin Kelley, a spokesperson for the commission.
“The previously scheduled meeting with officials from the Maine State Police is still scheduled for next week, Thursday, February 15,” Kelley said. “This meeting was added to the schedule.”
The commission is expected to investigate potential missed opportunities to prevent the shootings and produce a written report in the coming months. Sagadahoc Sheriff’s Office members previously told the commission that they had difficulty using the state’s yellow flag law that allows guns to be confiscated from someone in a mental health crisis.
In another session, tearful family members of people who died in the shootings called on the commission to make sure others don’t experience a similar fate. Kathleen Walker, whose husband, Jason, was killed while rushing the gunman to try to stop him, told the commission: “The system failed.”
There were numerous signs Card was unstable. He underwent a mental health evaluation last year after he began acting erratically during Army Reserve training. He had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks and had made threats that he would “shoot up” an Army drill center in Maine. There were also reports that he was hearing voices.
The governor, a Democrat, has announced a series of proposals aimed at preventing future gun tragedies. They include boosting background checks for private sales of weapons and improving mental crisis care. The Maine Legislature’s Judiciary Committee has also signed off on a proposal to make sure survivors of violent crime get access to support services.
“I’m eager to see this funded and passed into law, so that these vital services to support victims and survivors of violence can continue,” said Democratic Sen. Anne Carney, who proposed the bill.
The independent commission also hopes to hear from Army officials at a future hearing.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Coast Guard suspends search for two French sailors after cargo schooner sinks
- The Boucle Furniture Trend Is Taking Over the Internet: Here's How to Style It in Your Home
- The Uvalde school shooting thrust them into the national spotlight. Where are they now?
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- As Trump’s hush-money trial nears an end, some would-be spectators camp out for days to get inside
- Morgan Spurlock, documentary filmmaker behind Super Size Me, dies of cancer at 53
- Kabosu, the memeified dog widely known as face of Dogecoin, has died, owner says
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Why Kate Middleton’s New Portrait Has the Internet Divided
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Workers at Georgia school bus maker Blue Bird approve their first union contract
- The Best Memorial Day Bedding & Bath Deals of 2024: Shop Parachute, Brooklinen, Cozy Earth & More
- NOAA 2024 Hurricane Forecast Is for More Storms Than Ever Before
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Rodeo Star Spencer Wright's 3-Year-Old Son Wakes Up After Toy Tractor Accident
- NYC college suspends officer who told pro-Palestinian protester ‘I support killing all you guys’
- UCLA police arrest young man for alleged felony assault in attack on pro-Palestinian encampment
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Beauty Queen Killer Christopher Wilder's Survivor Tina Marie Risico Speaks Out 40 Years Later
Virginia tech company admonished for Whites only job posting
The 42 Best Memorial Day Home Deals: Pottery Barn, Wayfair, West Elm, Target, Walmart, Saatva & More
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Case dismissed against Maryland couple accused of patient privacy violations to help Russia
Americans want to protect IVF amid battles over abortion, but Senate at odds over path forward
How Beyonce’s Mom Tina Knowles Supported Kelly Rowland After Viral Cannes Incident