Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:Future of Ohio’s education system is unclear after judge extends restraining order on K-12 overhaul -Capitatum
EchoSense:Future of Ohio’s education system is unclear after judge extends restraining order on K-12 overhaul
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 12:00:28
COLUMBUS,EchoSense Ohio (AP) — The future of Ohio’s public education system hung in the balance Wednesday after a judge once again extended an order preventing the state from moving forward with a planned GOP-backed overhaul that a group of parents has challenged as unconstitutional.
It’s the latest move in a legal chess game that has Republican Gov. Mike DeWine’s office scrambling over how to ensure that 1.6 million schoolchildren still have a functioning educational system — even if it could mean disobeying that temporary restraining order, which Franklin County Common Pleas Court Judge Karen Held Phipps extended until Oct. 20.
The conversion from the Ohio Department of Education, overseen by an independent state school board, to the Department of Education and Workforce, controlled by the governor, was part of a sweeping K-12 overhaul contained in the state’s budget back in July but was set to take effect Tuesday. A lawsuit filed just last month alleges that the new system Republican lawmakers created violates the constitution on multiple grounds.
Most notably, it would strip the constitutionally created and citizen-elected state board of most of its powers, which include setting academic standards and school curricula. This, the plaintiffs argue, would disregard the intention of a 1953 constitutional amendment that mandated the state board in order to give constituents more say in their children’s education than the governor.
The overhaul “is a prime example of the broader movement by extremist-controlled governors’ mansions and legislatures to deprive communities of meaningful representation,” Skye Perryman, president and chief executive of Democracy Forward, a national legal services nonprofit representing the plaintiffs, has said.
The original order, granted by Phipps on Sept. 21, blocked the state and DeWine from “enforcing, implementing, (and) complying with” the law. That includes “creating” the new education department and appointing a director to take on most of the state board’s responsibilities.
Despite the order, DeWine went forward on the advice of his attorneys with portions of the overhaul beginning Tuesday. The governor said the judge’s order only covers a part of the sweeping law that implements the overhaul.
The governor asserted in a news conference Monday that under the state budget, which is state law, the new department had to take effect at midnight Tuesday because the Ohio Department of Education dissolved at 11:59 p.m. Monday. He said no “affirmative action” on his part was necessary to “create” the department, since the budget he signed into law in July set the Oct. 3 effective date.
DeWine’s position is that no forward movement would result in the state being unable to write checks for schools, teachers and transportation workers or to approve state-funded private school vouchers, among other vital functions.
However, DeWine said he won’t be appointing a new director or transferring the state board’s powers to the department. The state’s current interim superintendent of public instruction, Chris Woolard, will lead the partial implementation.
“If someone wants to file a suit and say he can’t lead, have at it. All you’re doing is taking a leader away from the department that is there to help our kids,” DeWine said in the news conference.
The plaintiffs filed a motion Tuesday to clarify the temporary restraining order and stated that even if what DeWine is saying is true, his complying with the new department’s existence disobeys the court order.
If DeWine was truly concerned about funding for Ohio schools, he would have worked with the court to modify the order, instead of this “blatant violation,” Perryman said.
___
Samantha Hendrickson is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (83)
Related
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Kylie Jenner's New Pink Hair Is Proof She's Back in Her King Kylie Era
- Judge denies request to dismiss case against man charged in NYC subway chokehold death
- Jason Kelce showed his strength on the field and in being open with his emotions
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Top six NBA players who could be on the move by deadline as trade rumors swirl
- The 12 NFL teams that have never captured a Super Bowl championship
- Supreme Court signals openness to curtailing federal regulatory power in potentially major shift
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- 3M now issuing payments to vets as part of $6 billion settlement over earplugs
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- My war refugee parents played extras in 'Apocalypse Now.' They star in my 'Appocalips.'
- Timbaland talks about being elected to Songwriters Hall of Fame: Music really gives me a way to speak
- Lake Erie's low water levels caused by blizzard reveal potential shipwreck
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- When does MLB spring training start? 2024 schedule, report dates for every team
- St. Croix tap water remains unsafe to drink as US Virgin Islands offer short-term solutions
- Could lab-grown rhino horns stop poaching? Why we may never know
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
Nearly $1 billion upgrade planned at the airport in Omaha, Nebraska
Rape suspect accused of faking his death to avoid justice denies his identity
Bye-bye, witty road signs: Feds ban funny electronic messages on highways
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Kate Middleton Hospitalized After Undergoing Abdominal Surgery
Kate, the Princess of Wales, hospitalized for up to two weeks with planned abdominal surgery
Proposed Louisiana congressional map advances to the House with a second majority-Black district