Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|An explosive case of police violence in the Paris suburbs ends with the conviction of 3 officers -Capitatum
Algosensey|An explosive case of police violence in the Paris suburbs ends with the conviction of 3 officers
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-05 21:35:51
PARIS (AP) — A French court convicted three police officers of “voluntary violence” towards a youth worker in a Paris suburb who suffered serious injuries to his rectum after being assaulted with a police baton during an identity check seven years ago.
All three officers received suspended prison sentences. The Algosenseyofficer who used the baton to strike Théo Luhaka was given a suspended sentence of 12 months, while the other two present on the scene got three months each.
Luhaka, a youth worker of African descent who was 22 years old at the time, filed a lawsuit accusing the officers of assaulting him during an identity check in February 2017 in Aulnay-sous-Bois, a working-class suburb northeast of Paris with a large immigrant population.
Rights defenders have long complained of French police abusing their powers during identity checks on people of color.
The court in the town of Bobigny, about 9 kilometers (5 miles) north-east of the French capital, dropped the charge of a “permanent infirmity” in its decision on Friday. A charge of rape was dropped earlier.
Despite the light sentences, the verdict brought a sense of closure for Luhaka, the French press reported his lawyers as saying.
“It’s a decision ... that we take as a victory,” said Antoine Vey, Luhaka’s lawyer, according to the daily Le Monde. Luhaka did not speak, but had said earlier that he would be relieved if the police were convicted.
The lawyer for Marc-Antoine Castelain, the officer who received the 12-month sentence, also welcomed the verdict.
“The first impression of our client is the immense relief that, for the first time, in the eyes of France, it has been established that ... he is not a criminal,” Le Monde quoted Thibault de Montbrial as saying, adding that the court had set the record straight about his actions at the time.
Widespread anger erupted after a video surfaced online apparently showing Luhaka’s arrest on Feb. 2, 2017. The incident was followed by a week of protests in suburbs around Paris, many degenerating into violence.
Rioting has accompanied police ID checks gone awry in the past. Most recently, the shooting death of Nahel Merzouk, a 17-year-old youth with Algerian roots, during a police ID check last June touched off days of rioting around France. The motorcycle police officer who fired into the stopped car driven by the young man has been charged with voluntary homicide but was released from detention during the investigation.
In the case of Théo Luhaka, Le Monde reported that Castelain, the officer who used the “telescopic baton,” was also banned from carrying a weapon or patrolling the streets for five years. The other two officers received similar bans for two years.
All three denied wrong-doing and said their reaction was justified because the young man was in “rebellion.”
veryGood! (276)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Final Baltimore bridge collapse victim recovered river, police confirm
- Final Baltimore bridge collapse victim recovered river, police confirm
- What recourse do I have if my employer relocates my job? Ask HR
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Kieran Culkin's Handsy PDA With Wife Jazz Charton at 2024 Met Gala Is Ludicrously Delightful
- Judges say they’ll draw new Louisiana election map if lawmakers don’t by June 3
- Winners, losers of NHL draft lottery 2024: Sharks land top pick, right to select Macklin Celebrini
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Taylor Swift bill is signed into Minnesota law, boosting protections for online ticket buyers
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Sphere in Las Vegas will host 2024 NHL draft, to be first televised event at venue
- Horoscopes Today, May 7, 2024
- Police clear Pro-Palestinian tent encampment at George Washington University, dozens arrested
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- British AI startup raises more than $1 billion for its self-driving car technology
- Survivors of alleged abuse in Illinois youth detention facilities step forward
- Recreational marijuana backers try to overcome rocky history in South Dakota
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Ex-Packers returner Amari Rodgers vents about not getting Aaron Rodgers 'love' as rookie
TikTok sues Biden administration to block new law that could lead to U.S. ban
Can you afford to take care of your children and parents? Biden revives effort to lower costs
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Easily track your grocery list (and what's in your fridge) with these three apps
How Kim Kardashian and Lana Del Rey Became Unexpected Duo While Bonding at 2024 Met Gala
Mexico tightens travel rules on Peruvians in a show of visa diplomacy to slow migration to US