Current:Home > reviewsMaine lawmakers reject bill for lawsuits against gunmakers and advance others after mass shooting -Capitatum
Maine lawmakers reject bill for lawsuits against gunmakers and advance others after mass shooting
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 01:36:15
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — Maine lawmakers turned down a proposal to allow residents to sue gunmakers over injuries stemming from illegal gun sales while advancing several other proposals after last year’s Lewiston mass shooting.
The Maine House of Representatives previously passed the proposal about illegal gun sales, but the Maine Senate rejected it Friday night. The proposal was designed to let residents sue manufacturers over both injuries from illegal gun sales and deceptive marketing, the Bangor Daily News reported.
New gun laws have been a major focus of the Maine Legislature since the Oct. 25 shootings that killed 18 people. The shooter was later found dead by suicide.
The Maine Senate moved several other proposals ahead Friday. They include a ban on bump stocks and the creation of 72-hour waiting periods for gun purchases. Gun advocates cheered those moves, though they will require more votes to become laws.
“We know that there is more work to do, but the members of the Senate have done the right thing, and their actions will save lives,” said Nacole Palmer, executive director of the Maine Gun Safety Coalition.
The Legislature also will consider a proposal to create a “red flag law” designed to remove guns from potentially dangerous people.
veryGood! (25)
Related
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- 2024 CMA Awards: Beyoncé’s Cowboy Carter Album Shut Out of Nominations
- Puka Nacua leaves Los Angeles Rams' loss to Detroit Lions with knee injury
- Oregon police charge a neighbor of a nurse reported missing with murder
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- As summer winds down, dogs around the country make a splash: See pictures of doggy dip days
- New Red Lobster CEO dined as a customer before taking over: Reports
- Jewish students have a right to feel safe. Universities can't let them down again.
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Big Cities Disrupt the Atmosphere, Often Generating More Rainfall, But Can Also Have a Drying Effect
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- New York site chosen for factory to build high-speed trains for Las Vegas-California line
- Police say a Russian ‘spy whale’ in Norway wasn’t shot to death
- Why The Bear Star Will Poulter's Fitness Transformation Has Everyone Saying Yes, Chef
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- New search opens for plane carrying 3 that crashed in Michigan’s Lake Superior in 1968
- A blockbuster Chinese video game sparks debate on sexism in the nation’s gaming industry
- Tropical depression could form in Gulf Coast this week
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Tropical Storm Francine forms off Mexico, aiming for the Louisiana coast
Billie Jean King wants to help carve 'pathway' for MLB's first female player
US investigating reports that some Jeep SUVs and pickups can catch fire after engines are turned off
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Pregnant Campbell Pookie Puckett Reveals Why Maternity Fashion Isn’t So Fire
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band still rock, quake and shake after 50 years
Selena Gomez Reacts to Benny Blanco Engagement Rumors