Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-Anne Heche's son struggling to pay estate debts following 2022 death after car crash -Capitatum
SignalHub-Anne Heche's son struggling to pay estate debts following 2022 death after car crash
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 09:48:34
Anne Heche's son is SignalHubstruggling to pay the debts she left after her sudden death in 2022, according to new court documents.
In Los Angeles court filings last week obtained by USA TODAY, Heche's son, Homer Heche Laffoon, as administer of her estate told the court in a status report that her estate "is not yet in a condition to be closed."
Heche died Aug. 11, 2022, at 53, nine days after she was pulled from a burning car and hospitalized incritical condition following a crash in Los Angeles. Heche suffered a "severe anoxic brain injury" as a result of the accident and fell into a coma, according to a statement provided to USA TODAY at the time.
The "Another World" actress drove her car into a home in Mar Vista, which erupted in flames, a Los Angeles Police Department officer then confirmed.
Detectives found narcotics in her system, LAPD spokesman Officer Jeff Lee told The Associated Press. However, she was not impaired by illicit substances at the time of the accident, according to an autopsy and toxicology report from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner's office. Those drugs were in her system from previous use or administered to her in the hospital, the office said.
Anne Hechetoxicology report shows 'no evidence of impairment by illicit substances' at time of crash
Laffoon, 22, whom Heche shared with her ex-husband Coleman Laffoon, requested control of his mother's estate soon after. Heche did not have a legal will.
According to Laffoon, 22, there are many issues regarding the administration of Heche's estate, including multiple sources of income, Heche's lack of records or financial organization, "royalty payment procedures" and a potential lawsuit resulting from the circumstances of Heche's death.
Anne Heche'slife before car crash included mental health struggles, Ellen DeGeneres romance
Laffoon notes Heche's "modest bank account" and pre-death projects, as well as the several claims against her estate, complicating matters. Three of seven claims against the estate are $2 million or more, leaving the estate unable to pay its debts.
One of the claims is from the owners of the home Heche crashed into in Los Angeles, who are also requesting a jury trial and $2 million in damages from the estate, accusing Heche and others of negligence and trespassing, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY.
Contributing: Pamela Avila
veryGood! (34666)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Isabella Strahan, Michael Strahan's 19-year-old daughter, reveals she's battling brain cancer
- The Pittsburgh Foundation, Known for its Environmentalism, Shares a Lobbying Firm with the Oil and Gas Industry
- Microscopic fibers link couple to 5-year-old son’s strangulation 34 years ago, sheriff says
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Chiefs star Travis Kelce shuts down retirement talk: 'I have no desire to stop'
- Boat propeller gravely injures endangered whale calf, NOAA says
- 'I just want to give them all a hug': Massachusetts Peloton group leaves servers $7,200 tip
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Michelle Troconis, accused of helping to cover up killing of Connecticut mother Jennifer Dulos, set to go on trial
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Taiwan's History of Colonialism Forged Its Distinct Cuisine
- A recent lawsuit alleges 'excessive' defects at Boeing parts supplier
- Marisa Abela Dramatically Transforms Into Amy Winehouse in Back to Black Trailer
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Why more women are joining a lawsuit challenging Tennessee's abortion ban
- Violence rattles Ecuador as a nightclub arson kills 2 and a bomb scare sparks an evacuation
- US Air Force announces end of search and recovery operations for Osprey that crashed off Japan
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Grizzlies' Marcus Smart to miss 6 weeks with a finger injury, creating more woes without Morant
Mississippi’s capital is under a boil water order after E. coli bacteria is found in city’s supply
Rome opens new archaeological park and museum in shadow of Colosseum
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Ronnie Long's wrongful conviction is shocking — Unless you study the US justice system
Coco Gauff enters the Australian Open as a teenage Grand Slam champion. The pressure is off
Nicaragua opponent exiled in Costa Rica wounded in shooting