Current:Home > MyDelaware calls off Republican presidential primary after Haley removes name from ballot -Capitatum
Delaware calls off Republican presidential primary after Haley removes name from ballot
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:46:39
DOVER, Del. (AP) — Delaware’s Republican presidential primary is over before it even began.
State lawmakers suspended the rules in the House and Senate on Tuesday to quickly pass legislation amending Delaware election law and allowing the scheduled April 2 primary to be called off. Democratic Gov. John Carney quickly added his signature.
Passage of the legislation was prompted by former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley’s decision to suspend her campaign. Haley submitted her withdrawal from Delaware’s primary ballot last Thursday, leaving Donald Trump as the only candidate.
However, lawmakers needed to pass a bill to recognize Haley’s withdrawal, as it came past the deadline to do so. Under existing law, there is only one week between the filing deadline and the withdrawal deadline. This year, the deadline to file for the presidential primary was Feb. 2, and the deadline to withdraw was Feb. 9.
State Elections Commissioner Anthony Albence said the rule worked better when Delaware’s presidential primary was held in early February, but lawmakers in 2011 moved the primary from February to April.
“Now that we have a much later primary and the contours of the campaigns have changed a lot, we find ourselves in a situation like this, where there is essentially no contest,” he told lawmakers.
Delaware’s Democratic presidential primary had already been called off, as President Joe Biden was the only candidate to file.
State elections official estimate that cancelling the Republican primary will save taxpayers at least $1.5 million.
veryGood! (91)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Former NHL player Alex Formenton has been charged by police in Canada, his lawyer says
- A woman's 1959 bridal photos were long lost. Now the 85-year-old has those memories back.
- South Carolina town mayor is killed in a car crash
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Report: California officers shot in ambush were not verbally warned that suspect had gun, was on PCP
- Small biz owners scale back their office space or go remote altogether. Some move to the suburbs
- Homeless found living in furnished caves in California highlight ongoing state crisis
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Taking away Trump’s business empire would stand alone under New York fraud law
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Dying thief who stole ‘Wizard of Oz’ ruby slippers from Minnesota museum will likely avoid prison
- Jay Leno files for conservatorship over his wife's estate due to her dementia
- Former NHL player Alex Formenton has been charged by police in Canada, his lawyer says
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Chiefs' path back to Super Bowl stage looked much different than past runs
- Scientists can tell how fast you're aging. Now, the trick is to slow it down
- Walmart’s latest perk for U.S. store managers? Stock grants
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Document spells out allegations against 12 UN employees Israel says participated in Hamas attack
Eminem goes after Benzino in new Lyrical Lemonade track, rekindles longtime feud
Dakota Johnson's 'SNL' opening monologue crashed by Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Jay Leno files for conservatorship over his wife's estate due to her dementia
Brock Purdy, 49ers rally from 17 points down, beat Lions 34-31 to advance to Super Bowl
Iran executes 4 men convicted of planning sabotage and alleged links with Israel’s Mossad spy agency