Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Japan launches a contest to urge young people to drink more alcohol -Capitatum
Algosensey|Japan launches a contest to urge young people to drink more alcohol
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 08:48:51
Young people turning away from alcohol is Algosenseygenerally welcomed as a positive trend. But it's bad news both for booze companies, and governments that are watching lucrative alcohol tax revenues dry up along with the populace.
Japan's National Tax Agency is clearly concerned: It's taking an unorthodox approach to try to get young Japanese adults to drink more, in an online contest dubbed Sake Viva!
The project asks young people to submit business plans to lure a new generation into going on the sauce, saying Japan's sake, beer and liquor makers are facing challenges that the pandemic has made even worse.
Contest runs against Japan's non-drinking trend
Japan's alcohol consumption has been in a downward arc since the 1990s, according to the country's health ministry. In the past decade, the government adopted a sweeping plan to counter societal and health problems linked to alcohol, with a focus on reaching the relatively small portion of the population who were found to account for nearly 70% of Japan's total alcohol consumption.
Coronavirus restrictions have kept many people from visiting Japan's izakaya (pub) businesses, and people simply aren't drinking enough at home, the tax agency said.
"The domestic alcoholic beverage market is shrinking due to demographic changes such as the declining birthrate and aging population," as well as lifestyle shifts away from drinking, according to a website specially created for the contest.
New products that reflect the changing times; sales that use virtual "AI and Metaverse" concepts; promotions that leverage products' place of origin — those are just a few of the ideas the site lists as ways to get Japan's young adults to embrace alcohol.
Backlash hits the plan to boost alcohol businesses
The contest is aimed at "revitalizing the liquor industry and solving problems." But it has hit a sour note with many people online, prompting pointed questions about why a government that has previously encouraged people to drink responsibly or abstain is now asking for help in getting young people to drink more.
Writer and journalist Karyn Nishi highlighted the controversy, saying Japan was going in the opposite direction most modern governments are pursuing and stressing that alcohol is inherently dangerous. As discussions erupted about the contest on Twitter, one popular comment praised young people who aren't drinking, saying they believe the social costs imposed by alcohol aren't outweighed by tax revenues.
Critics also questioned the initiative's cost to taxpayers. The contest and website are being operated by Pasona Noentai, an agriculture and food-related arm of a massive Japanese corporation called Pasona Group.
The pro-drinking contest will run for months, ending this fall
The Sake Viva! contest is open to people from 20 to 39 years old, with submissions due on Sept. 9. An email to contest organizers seeking comment and details about the number of entries was not answered before this story published.
Pro-drinking contest submissions that make it to the final round will be judged in person in Tokyo on Nov. 10.
The date underlines the dichotomy many now see in the government's alcohol policies: When Japan enacted the Basic Act on Measures against Alcohol-related Harm, it established a week devoted to raising alcohol abuse awareness, with a start date of Nov. 10.
veryGood! (498)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Indiana Fever star Caitlin Clark a near-unanimous choice as WNBA’s Rookie of the Year
- Who killed Cody Johnson? Parents demand answers in shooting of teen on Texas highway
- Utah woman arrested after telling informant she shot her estranged husband in his sleep
- 'Most Whopper
- Manslaughter case in fatal police shooting outside Virginia mall goes to jury
- The Country’s Second-Largest Coal Plant May Get a Three-Year Reprieve From Retirement. Why?
- Black man details alleged beating at the hands of a white supremacist group in Boston
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- The Fate of That '90s Show Revealed After Season 2
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- 'Take action now': Inside the race to alert residents of Helene's wrath
- A deadly hurricane is the latest disruption for young athletes who already have endured a pandemic
- Jason Duggar Marries Maddie Grace in Fall-Themed Wedding
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- 'It's going to die': California officer spends day off rescuing puppy trapped down well
- Halle Bailey and DDG Break Up Less Than a Year After Welcoming Baby Boy
- Jurors in trial of Salman Rushdie’s attacker likely won’t hear about his motive
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Subway rider shot in the head by police files claim accusing officers of recklessly opening fire
Melania Trump says she supports abortion rights, putting her at odds with the GOP
Get 30 Rings for $8.99, Plus More Early Amazon Prime Day 2024 Jewelry Deals for 68% Off
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Teen pleads guilty in shooting death of Southern Miss cornerback MJ Daniels
Les Miles moves lawsuit over vacated LSU wins from federal to state court
NFL Week 5 picks straight up and against spread: Will Cowboys survive Steelers on Sunday night?