Current:Home > ScamsColorado gold mine where tour guide was killed and tourists trapped ordered closed by regulators -Capitatum
Colorado gold mine where tour guide was killed and tourists trapped ordered closed by regulators
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:13:01
DENVER (AP) — A former Colorado gold mine where a tour guide was killed and a group of tourists was trapped for hours after an elevator accident has been ordered to remain closed and not conduct tours while its operations are reviewed, state regulators said Thursday.
In a statement, the Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety said the decision to close the Mollie Kathleen Mine was made following an inspection after the Oct. 10 incident. The agency must determine if the death of Patrick Weier, 46, was a result of the mine not complying with regulations, division spokesperson Chris Arend said.
The official notice sent to the mine on Wednesday cited a regulation that allows the division to shut down a mine used as a tourist attraction if it finds an “imminent or substantial danger” to workers or the public. The mine had already been set to close for the winter starting this week.
No one answered the telephone at the mine on Thursday. Its website said it would be closed until further notice.
Authorities have not explained exactly how Weier died, but Teller County Sheriff Jason Mikesell has said his death was related to a mechanical issue with the elevator and not a medical problem.
Before the incident, the mine’s inspection records were “satisfactory,” and records did not show any safety problems, the mining division said in announcing the closure. The mine was last inspected by the state on Aug. 29, but the mine was responsible for conducting daily inspections, the agency said.
The Mollie Kathleen is the only tourist mine that has an elevator used by the public, the division said.
It was descending into the mine in the mountains near Colorado Springs when, at around 500 feet (152 meters) down, the person operating the elevator from the surface “felt something strange” and stopped it, Mikesell said.
Eleven other people, including two children, who were riding the elevator during the mishap were brought up with it following the accident.
Twelve adults from a second group were trapped at the bottom of the mine, 1,000 feet (305 meters) below ground, while engineers made sure the elevator could be used. The group had access to water and used radios to communicate with authorities, who told them there was an elevator issue, Mikesell said.
The incident is being investigated by Mikesell’s office and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration, part of the U.S. Department of Labor, the mining division said. In a statement, the Labor Department said the agency has six months to complete its probe and does not discuss details of an ongoing inspection.
The mining division said it was also prepared to help in the investigations.
veryGood! (739)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Sam Taylor
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds