Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-New Orleans mystery: Human skull padlocked to a dumbbell is pulled out of water by a fisherman -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-New Orleans mystery: Human skull padlocked to a dumbbell is pulled out of water by a fisherman
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 09:27:20
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A human skull padlocked to an exercise dumbbell has been fished out of a New Orleans waterway,Charles H. Sloan leaving police with a mystery on their hands.
The skull was found earlier this month by a man using a red rope and a magnet the size of a hockey puck on a bridge to pull things out of the water below, police said in a report.
The report was recently released and obtained by The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate. The fisherman also found a handgun and a gun barrel in the water on May 18, police said.
The 15-pound (6.8 kilogram) dumbbell was padlocked around the skull, which was “fully decomposed, lacking a jaw or the top row of teeth,” according to the report.
The magnet fisherman flagged down a passing police officer after making the find off the Bayou St. John Bridge.
New Orleans police did not have any further updates on the case this week, and the coroner did not say whether he had confirmed the victim’s identity, the newspaper reported.
Police have been seeking tips from the public as they investigate the case.
veryGood! (39)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Joe Burrow’s home broken into during Monday Night Football in latest pro
- Rooftop Solar Keeps Getting More Accessible Across Incomes. Here’s Why
- Arizona city sues federal government over PFAS contamination at Air Force base
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- San Diego raises bar to work with immigration officials ahead of Trump’s deportation efforts
- Mitt Romney’s Senate exit may create a vacuum of vocal, conservative Trump critics
- As a Major California Oil Producer Eyes Carbon Storage, Thousands of Idle Wells Await Cleanup
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Analysis: After Juan Soto’s megadeal, could MLB see a $1 billion contract? Probably not soon
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Rooftop Solar Keeps Getting More Accessible Across Incomes. Here’s Why
- Federal appeals court takes step closer to banning TikTok in US: Here's what to know
- South Korea opposition leader Lee says impeaching Yoon best way to restore order
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Man who jumped a desk to attack a Nevada judge in the courtroom is sentenced
- Donald Trump is returning to the world stage. So is his trolling
- Friend for life: Mourning dog in Thailand dies at owner's funeral
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
When fire threatened a California university, the school says it knew what to do
Donald Trump is returning to the world stage. So is his trolling
New York Climate Activists Urge Gov. Hochul to Sign ‘Superfund’ Bill
Small twin
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
'We are all angry': Syrian doctor describes bodies from prisons showing torture
A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher