Current:Home > MyFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Temporary ceasefire reached in Sudan fighting, U.S. says -Capitatum
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Temporary ceasefire reached in Sudan fighting, U.S. says
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 02:11:56
After more than a month of fighting,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center a temporary ceasefire has been reached in the deadly conflict between two warring factions in Sudan, the U.S. State Department announced Saturday.
The short-term ceasefire agreement, which was brokered by the U.S. and Saudi Arabia in Jeddah, was signed on Saturday and will take effect on Monday at 9:45 p.m. Central Africa Time, the State Department said. The agreement will last seven days and may be extended with an agreement by both parties, the State Department said.
The fighting between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group began in mid-April and has left more than 750 people dead, according to the latest numbers from the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project.
Under the terms of the temporary truce, the two sides have agreed to assist with delivering humanitarian aid, along with withdrawing forces from hospitals and other "essential public facilities."
They have also agreed to allow "goods to flow unimpeded from ports of entry to populations in need," the State Department said in a news release.
Several previous ceasefires have been violated over the past few weeks, but according to the State Department, this latest deal was signed by both parties and "will be supported by a U.S.- Saudi and international-supported ceasefire monitoring mechanism."
During the ceasefire, talks will continue in Jeddah in the hopes of reaching a permanent end to the fighting, the State Department said.
The fighting stems from a power struggle between two former allies, and now rivals: Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, leader of the Sudanese Armed Forces, and Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, leader of RSF.
The ensuing violence has caused significant destruction in Sudan's capital city of Khartoum and the neighboring city of Obdurman.
Last month, the U.S. military successfully evacuated U.S. diplomatic staff from Sudan and shuttered the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum. Hundreds of U.S. civilians have also been evacuated.
— Haley Ott contributed to this report.
- In:
- Ceasefire
- Sudan
veryGood! (41)
Related
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Lionel Messi’s L.A. Game Scores Star-Studded Attendees: See Selena Gomez, Prince Harry and More
- Biden says he went to his house in Rehoboth Beach, Del., because he can’t go ‘home home’
- Jimmy Buffett: 10 of his best songs including 'Margaritaville' and 'Come Monday'
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Smash Mouth frontman Steve Harwell dies at 56
- Minnesota prison on emergency lockdown after about 100 inmates ‘refuse’ to return to cells
- Police: 5 killed, 3 others hurt in Labor Day crash on interstate northeast of Atlanta
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- How to make a meaningful connection with a work of art
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Olivia Rodrigo Responds to Theory That Vampire Song Is About Taylor Swift
- A second person has died in a weekend shooting in Lynn that injured 5 others
- South Korea’s Yoon to call for strong international response to North’s nukes at ASEAN, G20 summits
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Far from the internet, these big, benevolent trolls lure humans to nature
- Divorce Is Not an Option: How Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith Built an Enduring Marriage
- At least 1 dead as storms sweep through Las Vegas
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Adele tells crowd she's wearing silver for Beyoncé show: 'I might look like a disco ball'
CNN's new Little Richard documentary is a worthy tribute to the rock 'n' roll legend
Bad Bunny, John Stamos and All the Stars Who Stripped Down in NSFW Photos This Summer
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Disney wants to narrow the scope of its lawsuit against DeSantis to free speech claim
Nevada flooding forces Burning Man attendees to shelter in place
You're Invited to See The Crown's Season 6 Teaser About King Charles and Queen Camilla's Wedding