Current:Home > FinanceTucker Carlson once texted he hated Trump "passionately." Now he's endorsing him for president. -Capitatum
Tucker Carlson once texted he hated Trump "passionately." Now he's endorsing him for president.
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:59:05
Former President Donald Trump has earned an endorsement from Tucker Carlson, the conservative media figure who once said in a text that he hated the former president.
"I became an active Trump supporter when they raided Mar-a-Lago last summer. That just can't stand," Carlson said in an interview Thursday with Roseanne Barr on her podcast — the actress being no stranger to controversy herself. "I'm voting for Trump, and if they convict him, I will send him the max donations and I will lead protests. That's how I feel."
Carlson told Barr he has "always agreed with Trump's policies," even "losing friends over it."
While the conservative newsman and the former president appeared to have a friendly relationship during Trump's presidency — when Carlson occupied the coveted primetime spot in Fox News' nightly lineup — text messages that were revealed during Dominion Voting Systems' defamation lawsuit against the network painted a different picture.
In a text message sent on Jan. 4, 2021, Carlson wrote to an unidentified recipient, "We are very, very close to being able to ignore Trump most nights. I truly can't wait."
"I hate him passionately. ... I can't handle much more of this," he added.
Dominion sued Fox News and its parent company over false statements about the integrity of the 2020 election and Dominion's voting machines that were made by several of Fox News' most notable personalities, including Carlson. The company alleged Fox defamed it by broadcasting unfounded allegations that Dominion had rigged the election against Trump.
The lawsuit was settled in April and cost Fox News a hefty $787.5 million. Carlson was removed from the network's lineup just days after the case was settled.
Carlson has also been accused by both Democratic and some Republican lawmakers of downplaying the events of Jan. 6, 2021, when members of the public, some of whom were intent on stopping the count of electoral votes in order to keep Trump in power, stormed the U.S. Capitol.
Trump, the frontrunner for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, has qualified for every Republican debate so far this primary season, but has opted out of participating in any of them. Ahead of the first debate, he decided to pre-record an interview with Carlson instead, which was posted to X, the website formerly known as Twitter, just minutes before the debate aired on Fox News.
According to Carlson, though his distaste for Trump had been made public at the time, it was the former president who approached him for the interview.
"Whatever you think of Trump," said Carlson in August, "he is, as of tonight, the indisputable, far-and-away frontrunner in the Republican race."
- In:
- Tucker Carlson
- Republican Debate
- United States Capitol
- Fox News
- Donald Trump
C Mandler is a social media producer and trending topics writer for CBS News, focusing on American politics and LGBTQ+ issues.
veryGood! (73)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Horoscopes Today, September 25, 2024
- Simone Biles Wants Her Athleta Collection to Make Women Feel Confident & Powerful
- Kelsey Grammer's Frasier, Peri Gilpin's Roz are back together, maybe until the end
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Man charged with killing 13-year-old Detroit girl whose body remains missing
- Watch a toddler's pets get up close and snuggly during nap time
- Parents will have to set aside some earnings for child influencers under new California laws
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- How New York City Is Getting Screwed Out of $4.2 Billion in State Green Bonds
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- West Virginia’s new drug czar was once addicted to opioids himself
- Alex Jones' Infowars set to be auctioned off to help pay victims of Sandy Hook defamation case
- Egg prices again on the rise, with a dozen eggs over $3 in August: Is bird flu to blame?
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- How Rooted Books in Nebraska is combatting book bans: 'We really, really care'
- '7th Heaven' stars address Stephen Collins' 'inexcusable' sexual abuse on rewatch podcast
- Hoda Kotb says she is leaving NBC’s ‘Today’ show early next year
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Wendy's is offering $1 Frostys until the end of September
'Tremendous smell': Dispatch logs detail chaotic scene at Ohio railcar chemical leak
California fire agency employee charged with arson spent months as inmate firefighter
'Most Whopper
Cardi B Debuts New Look in First Public Appearance Since Giving Birth to Baby No. 3
Halsey Hospitalized After Very Scary Seizure
Climate solution: In the swelter of hurricane blackouts, some churches stay cool on clean power