Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|CBS News says Trump campaign had ‘shifting explanations’ for why he snubbed ’60 Minutes’ -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|CBS News says Trump campaign had ‘shifting explanations’ for why he snubbed ’60 Minutes’
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:36:16
NEW YORK (AP) — CBS News said the Trump campaign offered “shifting explanations” for why it backed out of a “60 Minutes” interview special with presidential candidates that aired without him.
The SafeX Pro Exchangenetwork’s Scott Pelley appeared on the air Monday night to explain why Republican Donald Trump did not appear on what has become a “60 Minutes” tradition: back-to-back interviews with presidential candidates in the last month of the campaign.
Harris was on the show, interviewed by Bill Whitaker. Where Trump was supposed to appear, “60 Minutes” instead aired a story about an Arizona official pushing false claims about election fraud.
Pelley said that the Trump campaign “complained that we would fact-check the interview. We fact-check every story.”
The Trump team also demanded an apology for his interview during the 2020 campaign, where he claimed that correspondent Lesley Stahl said a laptop computer belonging to President Joe Biden’s son Hunter came from Russia. “She never said that,” Pelley said.
Pelley said that Trump’s team had agreed to an interview at the former president’s Mar-a-Lago home, with an additional talk in Butler, Pennsylvania, where he returned to the scene of a July assassination attempt.
Trump spokesman Steven Cheung said “60 Minutes” “begged for an interview.” The campaign did have concerns about the show’s reporting on Hunter Biden and how it insisted upon editing Trump’s comments, he said.
“There was nothing scheduled or agreed upon,” Cheung said. ”We had already long promised an exclusive in filming at Butler to another national outlet, which turned out the be Fox News.”
Trump’s interview with Fox’s Laura Ingraham aired an hour before “60 Minutes” on Monday night. His absence from CBS was not mentioned in their exchange. Trump apparently, watched, however, posting on Truth Social that the Harris interview “is considered by many of those who reviewed it, the WORST interview they have ever seen.”
Pelley poked at Trump, noting he had already turned down another opportunity to debate Harris, along with the “60 Minutes” interview, “which may have been the largest audience for the candidates between now and election day.”
Moving “60 Minutes” out of its traditional Sunday time slot may have depressed the audience size, however. An estimated 5.4 million people watched on Monday, according to preliminary Nielsen company figures, compared with the 9.6 million who saw the newsmagazine on Sunday, Sept. 29.
No estimate for Trump’s audience on Ingraham’s show was immediately available. Her show averaged 2.7 million viewers a night last week, Nielsen said.
___
David Bauder writes about media for the AP. Follow him at http://x.com/dbauder.
veryGood! (586)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- John Cena argues with Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel over nude bit: 'You wrestle naked, why not?'
- Backcountry skier dies after falling 600 feet down Mount Washington ravine
- Ryan Gosling joined by Slash for epic, star-studded 'I'm Just Ken' Oscars performance
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Eva Mendes to Ryan Gosling at Oscars: 'Now come home, we need to put the kids to bed'
- Robert Downey Jr. wins supporting actor and his first Oscar for ‘Oppenheimer’
- Why Bad Bunny's 2024 Oscars Look Is So Unexpected
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Trevor Bauer dominates in pitching appearance vs. Los Angeles Dodgers minor leaguers
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Oscar Moments: Talk of war and peace, a coronation for Nolan, and Ken-demonium for Gosling
- Oscars 2024 winners list: See who's taking home Academy Award gold in live time
- Emma Stone and Husband Dave McCary Share Kiss at Oscars Party in Rare PDA Moment
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Who won Oscars for 2024? See the full list of Academy Award winners
- Sydney Sweeney Wore Angelina Jolie’s Euphoric 2004 Oscars Dress to After-Party 20 Years Later
- Liza Koshy plays off her Oscars red carpet fall like a champ: 'I've got my ankles insured'
Recommendation
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Justin Theroux and Nicole Brydon Bloom Confirm Romance With Vanity Fair Oscar Party Date
Jamie Lee Curtis was In-N-Out of the Oscars, left early for a burger after presenting award
Why Bad Bunny's 2024 Oscars Look Is So Unexpected
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Report: Workers are living further from employer, more are living 50 miles from the office
Backcountry skier dies after falling 600 feet down Mount Washington ravine
Biden’s big speech showed his uneasy approach to abortion, an issue bound to be key in the campaign